Will this motor grind knives?

I want to build a simple belt grinder. I found this listing on Ebay:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is a "new" factory surplus 1 HP General Electric Model #5KIT40143D motor, originally designed to be used on treadmills.

The motor operates at 120 volt, 11 amp, 1750 rpm, 60 hz, 1 phase. It has an open type frame and cradle mount.

The dimensions are 6 1/2" long, 6" wide, 6 1/2" high not including the shaft which is 1/2" diameter by 3 1/2" long with a flat on one side. </font>

The same seller also has Baldor 1.5HP motors listed, which run at 3450 rpm. If you had to choose a motor to run at one speed or the other for general blade grinding, which would you choose and why? Obviously I know that more power is better all other things being equal, but I think 1 HP is easily adequate if the speed is right, isn't it?

yeah,i think 1hp is enough to grind some blades. ive got a belt grinder with a 1hp washing machine motor,and a 1/2hp stone grinder,both do good jobs at getting rid of metal.

Hi, you have to be careful about metal dust getting into open frame motors. Regards, Greg

I am running two of the tread mill motors at the present.One on one of my grinders and the other on my Bandsaw.Both are Variable speed and open ended,I have been running them for a year now without any problems.Just keep them blown out regularly so the dust doesn't build up and ruin the motor.
They work GREAT.
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Excellent....what would be a minimum, assuming decent speed? 1/2 horse? 3/4? I just picked up several buffers and wheel grinders from my dad--he's been picking stuff like this up for the last couple of years on the understanding that when I got out of college and got my own place, I would take them out of his way. Several are nice-running pieces making 1/2 hp.

I've also heard of people using two motors on a 2x72 grinder--but is that more trouble than it's worth in terms of tracking and such?

1/2 hoarse is a little on the light side for grinding.But they will work if that is all you have.You just won't be able to dog on them real hard,so it may take you a little lomger to grind one out.I have a 2 hoarse 3700 rpm motor off from a air compresser that I use for my ruff grinder,as it doesn't dog down and is a bear on the metal so I can ruff stuff out real quick.
My variable speed tread mill motor on the grinder is a 2 hoarse and works really great as It can be slowed way down so you have more control of the blade when you are grinding.I started out with the 1 hoarse on the grinder but when I bought the second on I decided that I didn't need the 2 hoarse on the bandsaw so I switched them.They both worked fine on the grinder.As for using a rock grinder moter for a belt grinder I know that the Grizzly is set up with one on it and Wayne Goddard built one with this type of motor on it.So you should do great with what you have.
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Thanks, guys, you've been a whole lot of help. I know exactly what I'm going to do now with the motors I have. Should be able to set up a shop with a 2x72 grinder, several buffers, a stone bench grinder and two 1x36 belt sanders without buying any more motors.