Will white Micarta get dirty?

I mean ..permanently... dirty?
I'm ordering a folder and like the white micarta scales, but am considering the practicality of that.
I've never used micarta before and am unfamiliar with the surface characteristics.
Is it smoooooooth so any dirt would clean off easily, or would it absorb grime?

Thanks.

:confused::)

i have a off white micarta handles in one of my folders and i wipe it and clean it no problem, you can always grab some 1500grind and polish it a bit

I can't speak for others, but I think the BRKT knives, in addition to the epoxy that's imbedded in the micarta, are coated with a polyurethane type finish. I do know that Micarta can get dirty, as evidenced by the scales on my RAT3. Now, sanding those as RIO says would not only clean them but might change the texture of the scales.

I have a very light colored bamboo Northstar. The finish on it is not so impenetrable as the coating on the Micarta (BRKT) knives. It got dirty and I was able to clean it rather well with soap and water. Eventually, though, I sanded it to restore its original color. That of course removed any of Bark River's finish and I had to recoat it (shellac and wax).

I've stayed away from white and bone Micarta, not because I'm concerned about dirt, but because so many other scale materials have appealed to me more.

If the Micarta has a smooth finish, you can just hit it with a buffer.

I have never had a an issue with white Micarta... The photos are an EDC I use Very Often!!! Still looks great to me...

DSC01559.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01557.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Outstanding filework, 'kanoosh!

I agree!

Howd'ja ever get the 110 apart? Just drill the pins and replace? That sounds ....hard.

Looks great!

Thanks for all the input. I liked the white because I have no others and I think it would make it visible if dropped.

No, not in the snow....

:D

Also as I remember, it looks like the bad guy's knife in "Exposure."

In case I run into Tcheky Karyo.

:rolleyes::jerkit::D

I can't speak for others, but I think the BRKT knives, in addition to the epoxy that's imbedded in the micarta, are coated with a polyurethane type finish. I do know that Micarta can get dirty, as evidenced by the scales on my RAT3. Now, sanding those as RIO says would not only clean them but might change the texture of the scales.

QUOTE]

with that fine grid you have to really sand it hard , i meant it in a buffing kind of way

with that fine grid you have to really sand it hard , i meant it in a buffing kind of way

I agree RIO, and I understood what you meant. What I was saying, but didn;t properly relay, was that by sanding my RAT3 it would change the texture greatly. On the RAT3, as far as I can tell, it is unfinished and left as raw canvas and epoxy. Now, on a smoothie like the BRKT finished micartas, you're right, you'd be buffing/sanding, and not changing the texture so much as cleaning.

Back