Willow leaf

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Here is a knife I am working on. I just put the scales on but have to add a bunch more coats of oil. Its Spalted Maple that is outstanding.This should be done in the next couple days along with a Bushcrafter in crotch walnut. They both will be getting my new sheath with the removable firesteel.
IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

Chris, any specs. on the knife that you can share with us ??? From the looks of the pictures, either you have small hands or that handle my actually fit my oversize paws . . . .
Good looking blade, damn, this is like heaven tonight, both you & BA posting your wares at the same time . . . . . :D
Great looking stuff once again buddy, keep them a coming . . .
Be safe.

My hands are bigger than average but not huge. The handle is close to 5" and I think the blade is around 3 3/4 give or take. I wanted to make a no nonsense woods knife, thinly ground, that would be comfortable in all grips. I didn't know if I would like it at first but it is really growing on me. I might have to make myself one!

That is a great looking knife! I love that willow pattern. I didn't think I would at first, but I really, really like it! Those scales are suh-weet!!!!

My hands are bigger than average but not huge. The handle is close to 5" and I think the blade is around 3 3/4 give or take. I wanted to make a no nonsense woods knife, thinly ground, that would be comfortable in all grips. I didn't know if I would like it at first but it is really growing on me. I might have to make myself one!

Chris, you are on to something here. There are not that many small bladed knives that have oversize handles/slabs/grips/scales (gun guy covering all bases) . . . :)
That knife looks great, please post some shots when you have it finished if it is not gone by then . . . . . :thumbup:
Great work buddy.
Be safe.

I was the same way Mikey J, I almost prefer it now. J1M, I have to have a fullsize handle and I like smaller blades unless its just a large knife! As long as the edge goes all the way back to the handle IMO a 3 1/2" to 4" is really all you need.

Chris, any specs. on the knife that you can share with us ??? From the looks of the pictures, either you have small hands or that handle my actually fit my oversize paws . . . .
Good looking blade, damn, this is like heaven tonight, both you & BA posting your wares at the same time . . . . . :D
Great looking stuff once again buddy, keep them a coming . . .
Be safe.

That blade will fit your hand. I had the pleasure of holding it today before Chris put the maple on it. It's a good sized
blade. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I'm going to have to talk to Chris about making one for me.

That blade will fit your hand. I had the pleasure of holding it today before Chris put the maple on it. It's a good sized
blade. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I'm going to have to talk to Chris about making one for me.

IM, better be careful handling all those knives. BA & KFU might have come upon a secret formula addicting oil that once it gets into your blood system, there is no hope for you . . . . . :D
(Chris even mentions this in his opening post, "has to add a bunch more coats of oil" ) . . . .
Hmmmn, why do you suppose that is ???? ;)
Be safe.

...chuckles with fiendish glee,fondling his handmade sharps...and tends his cozy fire a bit....while a whole flock of birddogs fly over...

....I like the Fall;the mist and all....

Well, I woke up this morning and was going to put another coat of oil on this thing and noticed the handle had seperated alot from the tang. It was pretty hard wood but I guess not hard enough, note to self, get all spalted woods stabilized! Anyway, Im going to take it off and put something else on there and try a slight coke bottle shaping. Ive never done it before so Im actually excited to give it a shot! I think it will really help this design to have a nice palm filling handle that tapers off to the front and rear. Wish me luck!

Well, I woke up this morning and was going to put another coat of oil on this thing and noticed the handle had seperated alot from the tang. It was pretty hard wood but I guess not hard enough, note to self, get all spalted woods stabilized! Anyway, Im going to take it off and put something else on there and try a slight coke bottle shaping. Ive never done it before so Im actually excited to give it a shot! I think it will really help this design to have a nice palm filling handle that tapers off to the front and rear. Wish me luck!

Chris, this may be one of those questions that get the eyes rolled at it, & I know that possibly the only thing that knife making and wood working have in common is that both last words end with the letter "g", but can you get adhesive down in between the handles & frame, and clamp the hell out of it to hold it ???
Like I said, here cometh the eyes a rolleth . . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Be safe.

I could but I don't know how long or if it would hold. I really loved the wood but I don't want to take a chance. I have about ten more sets of spalted sycamore and maple that will be going out for stabilization. I really prefer to use natural woods but the spalted stuff is just too soft.

Back