Wilson S.A.F.E. System

Sam Wilson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a recently finished knife, one of my S.A.F.E. System units. That stands for Survival Adventure Field and Exploration. This is one of my earliest designs and is probably the most practical and usable HH knife that I offer. It is designed to be both usable and affordable for those that enjoy and want to use (or collect) hollow handle survival knives. The prototype has covered hundreds of miles of trail and has a ton of dirt time behind it, and this model is the latest evolution, with some minor upgrades along the way.

k2f2oQb.jpg

It is reasonably light, but sports a 4.75” blade of 3/16” stock for plenty of cutting ability/utility. Blade is CPM154 stainless steel, full flat grind for durability and cutting aggression, and has a light false edge/swedge for more penetration and control at the tip. This one has a blasted finish, but I also offer it in satin. It has an asymmetrical steel guard with lashing holes which has been silver soldered in place, an aluminum handle tube, and a stainless steel plated aluminum buttcap. This allows the buttcap to be used for pounding and hammering without gouging the softer aluminum, but it preserves the weight/balance of the aluminum buttcap.

uUkaaiM.jpg

The sheath is heavy duty leather, fully calf skin lined, has a field repairable tie down tab, and the “weathered” finish I offer. The retention tab is attached via shock cord, so that when it is deployed you do not cut the strap when drawing the knife. It simply flies out of the way when you unbutton it. The belt loop is secured with a Lift-the-Dot snap, which allows you to attach it to your belt or gear without removing everything in the way.

yazGzDr.jpg

Ku7okrD.jpg

This one also features the Basic Survival Kit, which includes a small flashlight, fire starting tinder, and a button compass with leather pouch that allows the compass to be worn and protected, should the need arise. The System also includes my threaded ferro rod attachment for the buttcap, which is included with most of my knives, and is part of a system of attachments that secure into the buttcap for secure purchase during use. There is also a bow drill divot machined into the buttcap, to allow it to be used as a bearing block for using primitive fire starting methods.

Ryjbe8e.jpg

bo6PDUm.jpg

o7qQgiT.jpg

QqI8tOL.jpg

Please feel free to comment, offer criticism or praise, provide suggestions and/or solutions, I love feedback of all types. Please reserve rude or mean-spirited comments for face-to-face meetings, where both parties can be fully “understood.” Thank you and thanks for looking!

P.S. Let me apologize in advance, some of the photos are not very clear, I didn't realize till it was too late. I promise to do better next time.

Sam

Looks great. I like the lines. You obviously put quite some thought into the design.
Nifty compass carrying detail.

Thank you, BladeScout! It may not be a flashy big fighting bowie in pattern welded steel, but this little guy has been there and done that! It flat out works. Thank you for feedback!

Sam :thumbsup:

I sincerely hope the fruits of your labor are commensurate to, or exceed the thought and the great quality of this project.

In other words I hope you sell a ton of them, because it's that good!

really impressive, your thought going into this. Especially the sheath, there's a lot I appreciate about it. The utilitarian nature of it all really jives with what I tend to like about knives, and the quality of your workmanship has a familiar burliness to it, reminds me of how I approach making things. Not particularly subtle, but built to last. If I saw this knife at a show on your table, I'd probably buy it. Behind the screen, I have to be a little more responsible, but damn...

the cord you use is something I got my hands on awhile ago, and I love it for wrapping my throwing knives and various tool handles and used to get it from a local tackle shop which has since closed down. I can't remember what it's called?

I sincerely hope the fruits of your labor are commensurate to, or exceed the thought and the great quality of this project.

In other words I hope you sell a ton of them, because it's that good!

Much appreciated, and a lot of respect your way sir. Thank you for the kind words, and your leatherwork is what we all dream of being able to do when we grow up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't see BACON anywhere in this otherwise awesome post. Otherwise.... it's fantastic!

There will be a hidden compartment on the next generation sheath system for the bacon. Good catch. Lol, and thank you for the compliment.

really impressive, your thought going into this. Especially the sheath, there's a lot I appreciate about it. The utilitarian nature of it all really jives with what I tend to like about knives, and the quality of your workmanship has a familiar burliness to it, reminds me of how I approach making things. Not particularly subtle, but built to last. If I saw this knife at a show on your table, I'd probably buy it. Behind the screen, I have to be a little more responsible, but damn...

the cord you use is something I got my hands on awhile ago, and I love it for wrapping my throwing knives and various tool handles and used to get it from a local tackle shop which has since closed down. I can't remember what it's called?

Thank you. Your ideas laid out above are pretty much the basic tenets of how I approach these "survival knife" designs. I have a video to put in here that will probably be too long for most (some of my customers really enjoy the details, so I try to be thorough), but it covers things like the tie-down loop at the bottom of the sheath. It is stitched on that way so that if it gets damaged or something, it can potentially be repaired/replaced in the field. And there are other things like that, as well.

The green line I buy at a local marine place, and oddly enough it doesn't have a name it just comes in unmarked rolls. But it's similar to duck decoy line and is probably sold at the marine place for something similar. Very good stuff. Thank you for the feedback and compliments.

Sam,

Splendid all around - well thought out. Have you considered adding a fish hook or two?

Thank you, TK. I have been meaning to follow you on Instagram for awhile, I like your in-progress shots as opposed to just seeing the finished product. Also, you've really been developing the wire wrap nicely. Consider me a fan!

As to the fish hooks, I used to make little kits to go with the knives but wound up putting too much time into it and also found that a lot of guys have very specific kits they like to make themselves. So aside from the Basic Survival Kit above (the compass unit, tinder tabs, and flashlight sold as an add-on), I just include a ferro rod and let the end user do as they see fit. Thank you for feedback!

Great job! Looks like a solid performer and a sheath to match which is a rarity!! If you put an add somewhere highly visible I think you would be overwhelmed with orders!! Good luck with your endeavors!!!
James

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! I am working on increasing supply and then demand, so we will see if you're right, lol. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As promised, here is a video going through some of the finer points of the SAFE System. Probably more information than most here want, but these threads also serve as a reference for my clients and keeps all of the information in one place. Feedback welcome. Thank you.

There will be a hidden compartment on the next generation sheath system for the bacon. Good catch. Lol, and thank you for the compliment.

Thank you. Your ideas laid out above are pretty much the basic tenets of how I approach these "survival knife" designs. I have a video to put in here that will probably be too long for most (some of my customers really enjoy the details, so I try to be thorough), but it covers things like the tie-down loop at the bottom of the sheath. It is stitched on that way so that if it gets damaged or something, it can potentially be repaired/replaced in the field. And there are other things like that, as well.

The green line I buy at a local marine place, and oddly enough it doesn't have a name it just comes in unmarked rolls. But it's similar to duck decoy line and is probably sold at the marine place for something similar. Very good stuff. Thank you for the feedback and compliments.

YES to the Bacon safe... A survival must!

Back