Winchester Model 59 12 Guage shotgun semi auto problem

cj65

Gold Member
This may be my first post in this forum. I finally pryed my dad's hands away from my lifetime Winchester 12 guage shotgun that he promised me long ago! I shot it in the late 70's hunting dove at the age of 13. I have had a rough couple of decades with 2 bad choice marriages, who may have shot me with my own gun, so my dad keeping it was good. Anyways, it is now in my gunsafe, it does have a problem. It double fires, without my finger on the trigger for the second round. I took it to a local gunsmith, and he is telling me he may not be able to fix it. I almost want to pull it apart myself, but refrained and want a pro to look at it. I am sure there is a fix, this shotgun was not rare by any means. I am in So. Cal. and do not want to ship it away, but am a little distraught at having a gunsmith (30 yrs. exp) saying he is not sure if it is fixable. Anyone have one of these 70's model 59 semi auto 12 guage with this problem, if so, what is the fix? Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance for any help!

My grandpa gave me the same exact shotgun. I hunted ducks and pheasants with it for many years and I remember it double firing a few times, but it didn't do it often. I remember shooting a pheasant with one shot and it shot again. It did that a few times. I havn't shot that gun in 20 years, its in my safe now. Great gun, but I need a front site for it and could never find one for it. I hope you get it fixed.

Send it up to Bob and Ken at Pisco Gunsmithing in Oregon. They can make the part if it's not available. With a 50 year old gun of limited numbers it's going to be hard to find just anybody to fix it. All the guys I used to know in SoCal have left the State. I can't blame them as I did too. The enviroment for gunsmiths in CA is toxic.

My first thought is the sear. Dirty, worn....not sure without looking at it. Might pop the thing apart and look for anything obvious?

My first thought is the sear. Dirty, worn....not sure without looking at it. Might pop the thing apart and look for anything obvious?

I am going to do that given a no go from the gunsmith. It was never abused, maybe dirty. It has been sitting in my dad's safe for about 15 yrs. now without being fired. I am confident in my mechanical abilities, but just want this fixed before dove opener, and thought this would be best first try. In my mind, I thought, if the part is broken and not available, someone can make the part. Thanks for the info above Eisman, I may go that route. I also want a modified choke for it as well. It has an improved cylinder now, and prefer a modified choke instead. I appreciate all the info. guys. I intend on taking my 13 yr. old twin boys on their first dove hunt this year. It will be very special for all 3 of us.

There are those ,as I experienced in gunsmithing school, who have an old gun who want an old gun to work. One of those wanted to use his old family shotgun for regular use on the target range .It was not a very good gun to start and not made for regular use .So it was fix a problem .Soon after it was fix another problem and so on !!
Was the gunsmith saying it wasn't worth the time and cost to repair ? Or that parts were not available ? How much are you willing to spend to repair it ? Some guns are best retired !

When I called him, he said it would cost approx $75. I assumed it was a common problem. I expect a Winchester shotgun that has sat much more than fired, for a couple of decades, to still fire and work. Maybe I am expecting too much? Is my nostalgia blinding my logic? I cannot afford another gun for me, I have 3 boys to arm up for dove season. I may have to sell some of my knives to do that. I am sure somehow this gun is still usable for bird hunting. My buddy hunts with some Ithaca models from the 50's early 60's that were his dad's guns. I like to think that I can still do that with this model 59 Winchester.

There are those ,as I experienced in gunsmithing school, who have an old gun who want an old gun to work. One of those wanted to use his old family shotgun for regular use on the target range .It was not a very good gun to start and not made for regular use .So it was fix a problem .Soon after it was fix another problem and so on !!
Was the gunsmith saying it wasn't worth the time and cost to repair ? Or that parts were not available ? How much are you willing to spend to repair it ? Some guns are best retired !

OK,
I got the gun back today! Mr. Hoag in Canoga Park CA called me and said the gun was gunked up real bad. It had been in my dad's gun safe for 20 something years without being fired or cleaned prior. So, I called him back, and then he said, he checked and noticed it would still double fire. So, he pulled the gun apart and the sear pin was rounded off, when it should be flat where it articulates with the trigger mechanism. *My gun part knowledge is novice at best. So, long story short, I have to go shoot my gun Saturday. Darn, shucks! Hee Hee. $50 into the repair. Hope it is all that is needed. I will post. So, far, what I read about Mr. Hoag, is all good, and he seems like a straight shooter. Gun pun intended. ;)

OK,
I got the gun back today! Mr. Hoag in Canoga Park CA called me and said the gun was gunked up real bad. It had been in my dad's gun safe for 20 something years without being fired or cleaned prior. So, I called him back, and then he said, he checked and noticed it would still double fire. So, he pulled the gun apart and the sear pin was rounded off, when it should be flat where it articulates with the trigger mechanism. *My gun part knowledge is novice at best. So, long story short, I have to go shoot my gun Saturday. Darn, shucks! Hee Hee. $50 into the repair. Hope it is all that is needed. I will post. So, far, what I read about Mr. Hoag, is all good, and he seems like a straight shooter. Gun pun intended. ;)
As I said- dirty and/or sear problem. I accept any quality knives (preferably customs) as payment for my sage advice.:D
Glad it worked out for ya.:thumbup:

As I said- dirty and/or sear problem. I accept any quality knives (preferably customs) as payment for my sage advice.:D
Glad it worked out for ya.:thumbup:

You are spot on ol' chap!

I am gonna bust some clays on Saturday morning, to make sure all is well for the dove opener. I will bring Gracie with me and jerky treats, see how she handles the noise. Oak Tree Gun Club off I-5 in Santa Clarita/Valencia is a great place. They have 2 in house labradors that will stare at you and drool while you eat your burger. It feels just like home.

Aaron,
You did call it! For the record.:thumbup:;)

About all I can send you are the spent shell casings as payment for your sound advice. :p

Back