Windex harm blades?

I just purchased a Benchmade Mini Griptilian (154CM steel) and a Benchmade Adams 275 (D2 steel). Both had price stickers on the blades. The clerk used Windex to clean the glue from the price stickers. Later, when I got home, I started freaking out about the possibility of the Windex harming the blades. I cleaned and oiled them properly. Does anyone know if there's a chance that the use of Windex before proper cleaning and oiling might cause future rust, stains, etc?
Thanks.

no. Windex is often used by custom knifemakers when wetsanding blades to their final grit.

I prefer to use the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol over Windex. I keep an old Windex bottle filled with it. But no Windex is not going to harm steel.

I always use winded when cleaning my folders. It will do no harm.

I use plain Windex all the time for cleaning knife blades, but I stay away from anything that contains bleach. For removing sticker goop, WD40, Goof Off, or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol all work just fine.

I use plain Windex all the time for cleaning knife blades, but I stay away from anything that contains bleach. For removing sticker goop, WD40, Goof Off, or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol all work just fine.

Gasoline works extremely well for removing glop.
But we'll just leave that for another discussion. ;-)

Windex is exactly what I've been relying on about 97% of the time, to wipe down & clean my blades each day. I've lately been a little lazy in not doing it in a few days, and the tell-tale spotting on my 1095 and CV blades is a not-so-subtle hint that the Windex had previously been doing a good job, IF AND WHEN I actually use it. :)

It does a great job in removing the finger oils (containing salts & acids), fruit residue (acids), moisture and other stuff that makes rust happen on a blade.

I prefer to use the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol over Windex. I keep an old Windex bottle filled with it. But no Windex is not going to harm steel.

91% IPA is what I've also used, in the instances where I didn't use Windex. The alcohol is also very useful after washing a folding knife (in water & dishwashing liquid), for flushing out residual moisture from all nooks & crannies that can't otherwise be reached in drying the knife afterward. Works very well. :thumbup:

David

Last edited:
Back