1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Winding Feather Folding Bowie

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Bruce Bump, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 1999
    I've saved this piece of steel for just such an occasion as this.
    Jere Davidson engraving on 416 stainless front and rear bolsters plus some mammoth ivory.
    And a Claude Scott slip sheath
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. Eliot

Eliot KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 22, 2011
    Very nice, and the winding feather pattern is beautifull!!!

3. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Kudos to you Bruce for always being bold and daring with your designs.
    Though I really like the effect the closed blade has on the folder, to me the rear bolster/handle looks a little awkward with the blade open.
    Your feather damascus and Jere's engraving are always a pleasure to see.

4. Michael Starr

Michael Starr Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2003
    I like everything about that one - very unique patterns - both handle & blade

5. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 1999
    Geez Kevin that's my favorite part. When a blade is longer than the handle on a folder the tip extends out the pommel. I,ve always thought it dangerous to have a razor sharp tip section there. Most folding Bowies don't have a guard for the tip, It's very functional to have the guard but who knows what it's supposed to be shaped like.

6. Murray White

Murray White Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Bruce the idea was good and the execution top notch as is the engraving. However I agree with Kevin. Unfortunately, trying to create a visually pleasing folding knife that ends up like a fixed blade is almost impossible and when I first looked at the image I thought -- yuk!. Closed -- pretty kewl. Tough trade off for sure. Kudos for trying and executing things others won't. Always enjoy what you come up with.

7. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The handle design is my favourite part as well - though I understand well that a design that is both bold and different can be polarizing. From an aesthetic standpoint, I like the fact that this section of handle exposes a beautiful segment of the winding feather pattern even when closed. It is a really fantastic piece overall, and one that really speaks to me even though folders aren't generally my thing. And the sheath is as beautiful as the knife.

Roger

8. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    I know the owner of this one,and he is thrilled to have it in his collection!It really is fantastic Bruce!

9. RMLamey

RMLamey

Nov 13, 1998
    thats just cool as hell.

10. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Stunning design. So untraditional it isn't familiar. From a functional aspect the butt end should be almost irrelevant to the handle and usage, unless it's a fighter.

That said, I would like Ver. 2.0 to have a bit of a guard to the front bolster. This may visually balance the hook at the end.

I view folding knives twice: Once open and once closed. Both require styling to please the eye. You got this one right. Props.

Coop

11. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    That is jaw dropping.

12. B . Buxton

B . Buxton

Jul 8, 2001
    Very Nice Bruce, excellent work and always and inspiration, plus its always fun to see what you come up with next .

Bill

13. Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Ahhh, I think you bring up a good point Jim. The front bolster isnt getting any attention and most all bowies have a guard either single or double. A smallish double would bring this all together visually. Leave it to the man thats seen a million knives. :)

14. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    from a guy who makes knives that I generally regard as awesome, this is one of my favourites.
    I like Coop's suggestion, and will bring it a little further using two words; swing guard

what size of knife is this?

15. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Bruce, what is the blade locking mechanism? Liner lock? I like this one as much as I like the Hideout and I liked that one a lot!

Paul

16. Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Thanks Lorien,
    The swing guard would be cool on this one. The blade is almost 5" long and OAL is 10 1/2" open

Paul,
    This is a slip joint with a half stop. The tang is ramped so it opens very easy but gets progressively harder at the half stop and full open. the back spring is made from 5160.
    Much appreciated compliment

17. MBITTENCOURT

MBITTENCOURT

May 5, 2009
    Absolutely stunning.

18. lisantica

lisantica Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Beauty beyond words, not to mention it took my breath away.

19. Jim Coffee

Jim Coffee

Jun 2, 2009
    Thats a piece of art there. Hey Bruce, are the liners and bolsters all one piece?.. Great knife..

20. Bruce Bump

Dec 2, 1999
    Thanks Jim,
    No the liners and bolsters are drilled, soldered and pinned together.