Wingman, Who Else Has One?

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I get the feeling these weren't very popular, but I am really glad I got this one. It has become one of my favorite edc knives. I would really like to have one stretched out to KEB size.

20161116_225655.jpg

Final.jpg

2cropped.jpg

Side by side with the Bushboot

DSC_7330%20-%20Copy.jpg

Cool looking blade, the handle looks like a goofy broken leg though haha, how is it in the hand?

Cool looking blade, the handle looks like a goofy broken leg though haha, how is it in the hand?

Lol, better than it looks I guess. It's very ergonomic to me. I love it in overhand and underhand grips. My only complaint is that it makes me want a bigger one. But I like this one for urban edc

That few eh? Wow, I'm surprised the one at KSF hasn't been snagged just for the rare factor then.

That few eh? Wow, I'm surprised the one at KSF hasn't been snagged just for the rare factor then.

I'm definitely intrigued in this design. The size of the knife seems perfect for an EDC and I really want to try out that new handle design. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the trailing point. I don't really do much with a knife that requires that upswept tip. I'm also quite sure that I would ruin several sheaths before I got the hang of the trailing point. :D

I'm definitely intrigued in this design. The size of the knife seems perfect for an EDC and I really want to try out that new handle design. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the trailing point. I don't really do much with a knife that requires that upswept tip. I'm also quite sure that I would ruin several sheaths before I got the hang of the trailing point. :D

Trailing points are not for everyone that's for sure. Especially these days when so few people do their own game processing...or fighting with them. I guess it's still sort of second nature to me, due to the fact that I grew up fishing and trapping commercially, and so many hunting and fishing knives being made with trailing points Not every sheath will work well for a trailing point either. In fact their sheaths are better done out of heavier weight leather if possible. I use the tip a lot actually, though about as much for cleaning my fingernails before meetings as anything else :) I like the way a reverse grip orients the tip for fine work. Another thing I like about this knife stems from darker days in my life, and how it feels and orients itself in the hand in an underhand grip. As usual, it all depends on what you want from the knife :)

M4Super90 has a nice one that he sent on a pass-around early this year.

Phil

Yes, I know Phillip has one, I am curious if he has one of the very first ones, or one of the tweaked ones with the slightly larger handle. I know the dimensions on mine are slightly larger than the dimensions listed for the one on KSF, but not by much. Mine is a hair snug in a tight overhand grip, but that's not a hold I use a lot with an edc knife. It feels great in a saber grip, and it feels great in forward and reverse pinch grips to me. And yes, it feels wickedly awesome in an underhand grip, which is the way my urban edc knives are usually set up to be drawn. As I said before though, I would really love one stretched to 4-1/4 inch-blade size with a 4-1/2 inch handle. That wouldn't give me any issues at all in a tight overhand grip. Then again, I love the handle on the Rebel, just not so much the blade profile.

Brain, it's one of the very first ones. I too would like a little larger grip, although it's been quite functional for the tasks you mention. It excels at skinning and boning. Not sure I'd say it has EDC status for me, but I do think it is way better than I anticipated without handling it. I still have a post I'm working on (have to get another deer to skin) and there are few from the pass around that have not posted opinions yet. I really dig this specific knife simply because it has been through so many of this forum's experienced hands.

Brain, it's one of the very first ones. I too would like a little larger grip, although it's been quite functional for the tasks you mention. It excels at skinning and boning. Not sure I'd say it has EDC status for me, but I do think it is way better than I anticipated without handling it. I still have a post I'm working on (have to get another deer to skin) and there are few from the pass around that have not posted opinions yet. I really dig this specific knife simply because it has been through so many of this forum's experienced hands.

I was thinking it was one of the very first ones. I think he has only done about a half dozen or so of them. I think it is a great design for game and fish prep, and woods wandering. I like how the pommel swells which is a great way to have a handle that's smooth enough to not cause hot spots in cutting and carving uses and still be securely gripped when hands are coated in tallow. Heck, I'd even be cool with one just upsized to Monarch size, but I'd really like one more the size of a KEB. I like lamb, but the prices have been so high lately I have been looking into buying one on the hoof and splitting with a friend. I think a larger Wingman would be vary handy for a lot of that.

I'm intrigued by the Wingman. I recently got to test one of the new handles and they're are very very comfortable. Though they aren't real pretty. With as much of a hunter and fisherman that I am you'd think I'd be a bigger fan of trailing points, but I actually prefer other blade shapes for my uses and preferred aesthetics.

I'm intrigued by the Wingman. I recently got to test one of the new handles and they're are very very comfortable. Though they aren't real pretty. With as much of a hunter and fisherman that I am you'd think I'd be a bigger fan of trailing points, but I actually prefer other blade shapes for my uses and preferred aesthetics.

ill send you a Wingman tomorrow to try out.....how about that:eek:

Lol, better than it looks I guess. It's very ergonomic to me. I love it in overhand and underhand grips. My only complaint is that it makes me want a bigger one. But I like this one for urban edc

i had a idea for a large Sharpfinger about 8years ago and found a fella make me one

20161118_192148_zps4uz3mryt.jpg

i had a idea for a large Sharpfinger about 8years ago and found a fella make me one

20161118_192148_zps4uz3mryt.jpg

Nice! I really like that. You should have Andy make a template from it and give it the Wingman handle and contours. That is exactly the size I am talking about, and pretty much the exact blade profile, but with Andy's plunge line location. A Wingman that size would be fantastic for me

Back