Photos Winkler II Recon and Belt Knife - Ongoing Review

Good looking knife but the lack of a guard kind of turns me off a bit. I like guards on my fixed blades for a reason, it seems as no one much does guards any more for some reason. I would like to check out a belt knife though. Great pics Thanks for sharing.

Any further thoughts on the Recon after the past 11 or so months? I'm about to pull the trigger on one and would enjoy anything else you could share.

I've been a fan of Winkler blades ever since I bought my first, a Belt Knife, two years ago. My Field Knife is my go to these days, but I've always wished it was pointier, hence my interest in the Recon.

Wood Splitter Wood Splitter

I do like the pointer and slightly longer blade of the recon. Its what drew me to the knife. Its also distally tapered, making it better at piercing. I can honestly say I havent used t as much as I planned. Its a great knife, but I never got around to making the sheath for it that I wanted so it hasnt been carried as much. If I had to get rid of one or the other, it would be a difficult choice.

Any further thoughts on the Recon after the past 11 or so months? I'm about to pull the trigger on one and would enjoy anything else you could share.

I've been a fan of Winkler blades ever since I bought my first, a Belt Knife, two years ago. My Field Knife is my go to these days, but I've always wished it was pointier, hence my interest in the Recon.

You consider the Bushcraft that's exclusive to Bladehq? That is a nice drop point and really appeals to me. It is smaller than the others though...4.3" blade.

I love the Case Winkler Skinner too- one of the best feeling knives I own.

Based on this thread, I ended up picking up a Winkler Belt Knife in natural micarta too for my birthday present to myself a few weeks ago :)

I did regrind the edge on my Worksharp Blade Grinder to take it down to 17.5 degrees - and it really does cut surprisingly well.
The coating doesn't seem to do much other than hide the patina.

But yep, I really like it. Feels very natural in my medium sized hands and will be a fixed blade keeper in my modest collection of users!

Based on this thread, I ended up picking up a Winkler Belt Knife in natural micarta too for my birthday present to myself a few weeks ago :)

I did regrind the edge on my Worksharp Blade Grinder to take it down to 17.5 degrees - and it really does cut surprisingly well.
The coating doesn't seem to do much other than hide the patina.

But yep, I really like it. Feels very natural in my medium sized hands and will be a fixed blade keeper in my modest collection of users!

Great you got yourself a new knife as a present. The belt knife is one that has interested me for a while. Your description of it is about right for my Winkler Woodsman: "...a fixed blade keeper in my modest collection of users." It is pretty thick blade stock on a good size knife, but even so you can do some fairly detailed work with it if you have the time in camp. Winklers are just good knives.IMG_1722.jpg

If they did the 3V in standard micarta (without texturing) I would have bought that instead of the standard 80CRV2.
3V doesn't cost that much more.

Back