Winter camping...and some knives

Went out for some camping on the weekend. Snow is here, and the bugs are dead! :thumbup:
Luckily, the shelter poles are still there too:

1_zpscdewcyun.jpg~original

A bed my stepbrother made years ago has become a great place to store wood off of the ground:

2_zpssnsxp40m.jpg~original

A nice, cozy tarp cabin. :)

3_zps6d9nv8bn.jpg~original

Fits a folding table and all our stuff inside easily:

5_zpsyckqvp3o.jpg~original

Shot of the surrounding woods:

6_zpsskuyuv6s.jpg~original

Tarp cabin seen from a wood gathering excursion:

4_zpsv8bdxgti.jpg~original

Some people will remember EJ Snyder stopping by to talk about the Tops SXB... ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1294902-WSK-on-steroids-!/page2 ) he was right, it really does work:

7_zpsbmbqgoxu.jpg~original

Here I'm using it to work on a "walking tree" that I uprooted and cut out of the ground:

10_zpskpg5ckhq.jpg~original

That most rare of events, a Hinderer XM-18 actually getting used! :eek:

8.1_zpsduxgtuax.jpg~original

Always time for a sausage-fest. ;)

11_zps7dlqiycp.jpg~original

Fire!

12_zpsn6a623ot.jpg~original

Drying out the sticks (the smaller one is to be a child's wizard staff):

13_zpsagpru10s.jpg~original

All in all, a good time, and we didn't even freeze to death. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Very cool. Whenever we come back from camping we always end up with a couple large sticks of different types.

Great pics, thanks for sharing them!
You really appreciate a fire in weather like that.

Very cool. Whenever we come back from camping we always end up with a couple large sticks of different types.

Definitely part of the fun. :)

Great pics, thanks for sharing them!
You really appreciate a fire in weather like that.

The fire was amazing.
Melted the snow for quite a distance around it, and kept water left outside from freezing.
It allowed for quick heating up, and the ability to take off gloves for some tasks as well. :thumbup:

Fun pics.

I probably won't get much winter camping in this year.

We usually take the Scouts out for a snow camp, but I'm not in Scouts any more, and my sons are a little young for the cold camping.

Most excellent post, my neighbor to the north! I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me that I gotta get out to my survival lean-to shelter and do some maintenance before we get too deep into winter.

See you in the woods...!

Love the post and all the pics! Winter camping has its challenges but can be a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like fun that i really need, you should give me more notice next time. I will go along with you for sure!

Nice! Even used a Hinderer .....cool -

We had one JK Gathering where everyone had to carve a hiking cane - that was a fun one.

Thanks for the post and pictures - nice gloves, by the way....

best

mqqn

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

Nice! and as a bonus, knives in action :)

Good post.

I think this is why most of us are into knives, for the way they help facilitate fun. :)

Fun pics.

I probably won't get much winter camping in this year.

We usually take the Scouts out for a snow camp, but I'm not in Scouts any more, and my sons are a little young for the cold camping.

When they're a little older, they'll love it, I'm sure. :thumbup:

Most excellent post, my neighbor to the north! I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me that I gotta get out to my survival lean-to shelter and do some maintenance before we get too deep into winter.

See you in the woods...!

Always on the lookout for more knife knuts in the woods. ;)

I like that tarp cabin and it's roomy size. Thanks for the pictures. DM

The roominess was great, and most of the tarps came from the dollar store. :)

Love the post and all the pics! Winter camping has its challenges but can be a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

Great Pic's looks like a great time!

Thank you! Great post and much appreciated.

It was fun, and winter camping has a few advantages...the main one being no bugs. It made food storage so nice and easy.
And it's hard to take a bad picture with the snow to help out.

Looks like fun that i really need, you should give me more notice next time. I will go along with you for sure!

I'll definitely get you some advance notice next time, for sure.

Nice! Even used a Hinderer .....cool -

We had one JK Gathering where everyone had to carve a hiking cane - that was a fun one.

Thanks for the post and pictures - nice gloves, by the way....

best

mqqn

The hinderer and the gloves both worked out quite well. Both are sturdy enough for sure.
I found the Hinderer had no problems with carving of that nature. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great pics! I should have taken some the last time I was out camping. Is that a Ka-Bar ZK I see in the 4th pic?

It might be cold but there are no people and no bugs. Stay by the fire, it's all good. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the great pics! I should have taken some the last time I was out camping. Is that a Ka-Bar ZK I see in the 4th pic?

Yep, the original Pestilence Chopper. :)
Doesn't chop so well, but it batons better than just about anything else.

It might be cold but there are no people and no bugs. Stay by the fire, it's all good. Thanks for sharing.

So true. :thumbup:

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get out and do some exploring.

Back