Winter Overnighter in a Canvas Tarp Shelter

I went back with my friend Alex to the natural shelter we built a few months back. Unfortunately the snow had crushed the shelter so we decided to camp using a tarp instead. We setup the tent as a diamond shelter and used a kni-co stove to keep warm. The shelter worked well against the snow and the strong wind during the cold night (minus 17 degrees) good times !

Hope you like the vid

Man that looks cold, I like that little stove it looks to work quite well and very portable too. That steak looked good as well, I bet it was good in that cold weather.Thanks for sharing,

Well done, looks like some good fun. How did you haul your gear? The stove and heavy tarp, etc. seems too much for a pack but I didn’t see a sled (pulk?)

We drove most if the way by truck and then carried the rest by backpack / sled
That tarp is solid but is heavy

So you hadn't planned on sleeping under an open tarp? I'm curious, if it was -17 outside the tarp, I wonder what the internal temp was after your stove got cooking?
You all did an excellent job thriving and surviving.

So you hadn't planned on sleeping under an open tarp? I'm curious, if it was -17 outside the tarp, I wonder what the internal temp was after your stove got cooking?
You all did an excellent job thriving and surviving.

We were going to sleep in the natural shelter we had previously built but had to change the plans when we got there...
The tarp shelter doesn’t do such a good job as a tent to keep the heat from the stove but when the stove was roaring we were much toastier lol

We were going to sleep in the natural shelter we had previously built but had to change the plans when we got there...
The tarp shelter doesn’t do such a good job as a tent to keep the heat from the stove but when the stove was roaring we were much toastier lol
Well at -17, you guys were still braver than me. The coldest I ever felt was -22. And that was just to unhook my battery and bring it inside to warm up.
Kudos to you all.

You're getting right into all this thing. I'm more of a woosey as I age. And long term deep cold requires a set of clackers to handle. Hats off to you.:thumbsup: I had ten days off work and thought about getting out while sitting in the easy chair filling my face. It was a definite failure to launch !

A good sleeping bag is the key
The military mss system is a good bang for the buck

You're getting right into all this thing. I'm more of a woosey as I age. And long term deep cold requires a set of clackers to handle. Hats off to you.:thumbsup: I had ten days off work and thought about getting out while sitting in the easy chair filling my face. It was a definite failure to launch !

Back