WIP: My Second knife

Not sure what to classify this knife as but here is the roughed out version, using 1084 cold rolled. Plan to use black kirinite and brick red liner
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Already this has some interesting lines. How does it feel in the hand? The underside of the handle doesn't look too comfortable. I might tweak that area to be a bit more organic and hand friendly. The top of the blade and handle is a bit straight through that transition area. I know it is rough cut at this point. When you clean up the profile try to aim for a smooth flowing line from the blade to the handle. The drawing is a bit better in that regard. Looks good. Keep us posted with your progress.

Already this has some interesting lines. How does it feel in the hand? The underside of the handle doesn't look too comfortable. I might tweak that area to be a bit more organic and hand friendly. The top of the blade and handle is a bit straight through that transition area. I know it is rough cut at this point. When you clean up the profile try to aim for a smooth flowing line from the blade to the handle. The drawing is a bit better in that regard. Looks good. Keep us posted with your progress.

For me it is actually comfortable to grip.

Yeah the transition from handle to blade was rounded out more, plus I added a dip for the thumb right where my thumb sits, and will add some file work to the thumb grip. Once the sanding is all done I plan to acid etch the blade part for fun.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The blade is Wharncliff style. The handle is not hand friendly....and the spike at the end of the edge has got to go.

The blade is Wharncliff style. The handle is not hand friendly....and the spike at the end of the edge has got to go.

I agree the handle is not hand friendly, but when I was making this I make it for me and it feels good, plus I just wanted to try out some curves and a straight edge. With my lack of equipment (cheap sander, and files) getting the edge straight was trickier than I thought it would.

I got rid of the spike, it looked funny and served no purpose. I'll post pics once it is back from the sharpeners. I know I should sharpen it myself but for $6 it's sharpened by the Twin Cities best, and I feel better helping a small business out.

Thanks for the advice

Nice! Taking off that spike did wonders for the looks of it and I bet makes it easier to use.
The handle shape is different, but not radical, it kinda reminds me of a SwampRat Rodent 7.
Keep making more, each new knife will allow you to fix the mistakes of the last... and see a whole new batch of mistakes to fix on the next.

Back