Wire frame Schrade {Ill try to describe}

At an antique store I spotted a wire framed folding Schrade. It had Geo Schrade stamped on the blade. The blade rested inside the frame ,and the entire blade was visible when closed. The frame resembled an old bottle opener . They had a thirty dollar price tag on it. It was in fair condition. Used but no visible damage. Ive been trying to find a picture of it but have not been successful.

Do any of you know the knife I tried to describe? If so , is it a good price.

OK . I found one like it on ebay. The one on ebay has a red insert. The one I saw had no insert. So there is significant damage. Part of it is missing. Never mind.

I don't think a piece of it is necessarily missing. I've never seen one with an insert, only the ones with the open wire frame. Don't give up on it yet.

Dave, actually they did have inserts mounted inside the frame, although they were never mounted that well and with use they may of come adrift, they usually were painted red except for the Girl Scout sets which had green inserts, there are many knives out there that have the inserts missing.

Russell

Are you a Schrade collector? If so, then there's the answer to your question.I own one and I really cherish the knife. They appear to be rather uncommon in the region in which I live, I've never run across another one for sale. As far as price, you can alway's ask if that's a firm price or if there is room to discuss. Once again, I enjoy pulling mine out every once in awhile and admiring it or showing to other folks. Good luck on what you decide! Dale H.:thumbup:

Well isnt that interesting. A GEO SCHRADE is a different company .

Yes, though George was a co-founder of Schrade Cutlery as well. He and his brothers never got along too well. George was the inventor and innovator. The other brothers were pragmatic businessmen. After George left, his brothers sued him for his using one of his inventions on automatic knives which they felt they owned the patent to. George defended himself and trounced his brothers in court, and kept on inventing and running his own company until his death in 1940. By then, his brothers were nearly ready to retire. Which they did in 1946 selling Schrade to Albert Baer. George M. Schrade, George's son, continued to run his company until 1956 when he sold it to Boker.

Michael

this is a boy scout knife that came with a fork and spoon. the open frame was pat. first. should get all three k f s for about that much.

This is interesting to me.

The one I saw had no insert. So there is significant damage. Part of it is missing.

The metal piece was added later as a safety, I think.

they did have inserts mounted inside the frame

the open frame was pat. first.

The author of that article did not discuss the liner/metal piece. I assumed it was a later addition because all of the wire jacks I have seen with only the earlier patent dates did not have them, and most of the later patent dated knives did. I guess I need to go further and dig up the actual patents on these.

Michael

Edit #1: A quote from the grandson of George Schrade from his book "George Schrade and his accomplishments to the knife industry"

210nfwn.jpg

Edit #2: a copy of the 1926 patent. No guard.

2lix2m8.jpg

Last edited:
B.K. Brooks is knife writer & collector who has been published in Knife World from time to time. I reference his chart of Schrade Tang stamps for dates often. In fact it has been posted here a couple times. It can be found in his article "Schrade - 100 Years of Markings" -Knife World, Vol. 30 No. 6 June 2004.

A few years ago he had a nice display of Schrade knives chronicling the history of Schrade at the OKCA show. I had a chance to chat with him about the wire jacks specifically. He said the early ones did not have the insert, but they were added soon after they first came out as guys were cutting their fingers when closing the knives.

Dale

Here is his chart of stamps. I don't think it is exhaustive, but it is a good start.

[URL=http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/?action=view&current=SchradeTangStamps.jpg][/URL]

Geo. Schrade made five models of the wire knife as far as i know,a 5 inch fish blade ,a 5 inch clip blade ,a 5 inch hawkbill. A 3 inch spear blade, and a 3 inch hawkbill .There may be more but after alot of searching i have'nt seen them,G.M

This knife was the basis for Pat Crawford's very successful front lock that I used as the inspiration for my own K87 and then used that for the invention of the front lock on the k93. The old ones keep marching on.

Back