Wire inlay?

Can someone give me a brief rundown of the principles behind wire inlay? It seems you basically make a groove slightly smaller than the wire you are using (easier said than done, most likely), then lightly hammer your wire material (easier said than done, again), into that groove, and finish it smooth. Is that the gist of it? What wire works well (remember, you're talking to a poor bastard), and what tools are used to best accomplish the groove? Or am I totally wrong?

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/frames.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels
agocs_s@dd.palmer.edu
Madpoet (Mel Sorg, Jr.) Tribute page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/madpoet/main.html

Good question! I always wondered how they do this myself! The gold wire inlay's really look sharpe on the fancy stuff. I am only guessing but would think they use an ingraver and cut a track that is bigger on the inside so when the material is peened in there it won't fall back out. Hopefully Darrel or one of the other makers that have used this can give us some insight.
wink.gif

Allen Eldridge does all of my inlays using small chisels and other tools he makes himself. He taught wire inlay at Jim Batson's for 7 years and has some instructional videos. He's teaching my wife now how to do inlays of all types.
You can e-mail Allen at alleneldridge@centercross.com for any questions. He's always willing to help and explain.

------------------
Gene Osborn
Center Cross Metal Works
I Carry My Crosses for Christ to Give any Glory to God.

[This message has been edited by CenterCross (edited 02-03-2000).]

the groove is cut with a flat or square graver. then both sides of the groove have to be undercut or "dovetailed" so the wire wont fall out. i do the undercutting with a very thin knife graver very slightly rounded so it doesnt break so easily. 24k gold is easiest to inlay. rose gold the hardest, the copper in it makes it not very peenable and work hardens after the first tap. green gold in 18k works ok.

hope this helps
smile.gif

tim

Are we talking wire inlay in wooden handles or are we talking gold wire inlay in an engraving sense???

I know how to do one but not the other...
smile.gif

Alan...

------------------
If a Man talks in the forest, and there is no Woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wow, a five-fer! I don't think I've ever seen that!
wink.gif

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

I've not done this, but another maker told me it is easiest to do inlays with silver or gold amalgam (like the dentists use). The amalgam should flow, maybe with a little help, into the undercut, then is smoothed. No peening. Made sense to me.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
knifemaker
www.hossom.com

You can also check out Dixie Gunworks, they sell a silver wire/tape that works well, and they give instructions for its use.

Jake

Heard my name was mentioned over here. I have taught wire inlay for many years and made instructional videos. I will try to explain it here. I’m new to the computer and the Internet so it’s a little harder to put this on paper.

When you look at wire inlay you are actually looking at the edge of a ribbon (silver usually). The silver ribbon I use is .010” thick and .064” wide. I use chisels I make out of hacksaw blades. I grind the teeth off, grind it into the shape of a wedge where it will split the wood with a “V” groove. The wire sets down in the groove. I always cut the complete design before I lay any wire. (I then lay a piece of mylar on the design and trace it with a pencil. I can then turn it over to duplicate the design for the other side of the handle.)
When I put the wire in I leave it a little above the surface of the wood. When I put stain & glue on the wood it closes the cut where the wire is. Sand the wire with 180 grit sandpaper to bring the wire flush with the wood. I always put the round pins in the designs in after I lay the wire. Clip them off above the wood and sand even also. Stain and finish the handle.
I hope y’all can understand this. If you have any other questions just let me know.

------------------
Allen Eldridge

Center Cross Metal Works
Jesus is Lord!

Thanks for the reply, Allen! Glad to see you on the forums!

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Back