Wire saw ??

What do people think of wire saws such as this?

http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html

I've heard they are very good for sectioning game in the field. The one in the link above dosen't look like very good quality. Think the rings would pull right off if used hard. Anyone know where I could get a better quality one? Perhapes with better handles.

I think www.1sks.com has a few.
There's one out there that even looks like it's built from a chainsaw chain!
ADDED:
After looking at a few review, both seem to work fairly well.
HOWEVER, there is one out there, if you can find it, with larger nylon handles.
I think I'd prefer that one for ease of use.

I have one of those nato approved wire saws. Didn't use them to section game, but I cut a few branches with it and it works very well.:thumbup:

I have a 'pocket chain saw ' and it works well. I've cut branches 25' up with the saw and some rope ! The chain is 18" long and good for branches up to about 6" diameter .

I use the NATO issue one, usually on a "bendy" branch to make it into a bow-saw, works pretty well if you take your time & cut smooth & straight.
The main thing to remember is not to let it get TOO hot & keep it pulled quite taut as it cools down.

I use the NATO issue one, usually on a "bendy" branch to make it into a bow-saw, works pretty well if you take your time & cut smooth & straight.
The main thing to remember is not to let it get TOO hot & keep it pulled quite taut as it cools down.

I also have the NATO issue one, only the updated version- nylon loops instead of metal rings. Mine's made in the UK.

Cutting straight helps to keep the blade from getting damaged. Also make sure you always cut open, never closed.

In my experience a wire saw can saw through a two inch (50mm) soft wood branch in only two or three hours. :rolleyes:

The chain saws are said to be useful. There's been quite a bit of discussion of both in the Wilderness & Survival forum here at Bladeforums; run a search.

In my experience a wire saw can saw through a two inch (50mm) soft wood branch in only two or three hours. :rolleyes:

The chain saws are said to be useful. There's been quite a bit of discussion of both in the Wilderness & Survival forum here at Bladeforums; run a search.

i havent had very good luck with them either, i have used the wire saw that the US army issues in pilots survival kits and man it sucked cutting wood, might work better dressing game but i dont know.

SIfu1a wrote:
i havent had very good luck with them either, i have used the wire saw that the US army issues in pilots survival kits and man it sucked cutting wood, might work better dressing game but i dont know.

I had some freetime yesterday afternoon, so I went out and decided to actually test the capabilities of my wire saw. I had previously used it for small stuff, and didn't pay much attention to size or anything. It was raining, not too heavily at the time. There was no pine/ softwoods in the forest I was in, all hardwoods. Everything I tried it on was deadfall, for obvious reasons. Anything over 2" to 2.5" could not be cut through from one side. I didn't try to cut anything that was rotting.Two "opposite" cuts need to be made. I did a ~4.75" diameter section of birch using that method. I was able to cut through birch, unidentified hardwood, and oak (didn't try any oak over 1.25") relatively easily. The saw hates knots. I hit a nasty one, and it got stuck. I was eventually able to back it out.

I also used my Victorinox saw (on my Camper SAK) on some of the pieces that the wire saw had trouble on. The Victorinox saw is excellent, and cleared them easily.

Back