WM Beatty and sons

I have read through the information for this maker on yesteryear tools. It was quite helpful. Any additional info or sources of info would be appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/ngjHw

The stamp is alittle light so I went easy on the cleanup. I believe the company was in business from 1806 to the 1920s. One of the older makers I have come across. Handle is White Ash from a piece of firewood. Thrift store find, I did not see the makers mark till I got it home. Kind of a cool piece of history.

The "CHESTER" stamp is a clue to the age range. According to a book from 1883, John C. Beatty "built extensive works in Chester in 1871."

content

from Historical Sketch of Chester, on Delaware, by Henry Graham Ashmead, 1883

According to YesteryearsTools, the company's assets were auctioned (following bankruptcy) in 1924. Other details can be found at The Davistown Museum.

Thank you. Function was the goal. I picked up the head to rough out handles and have done one hatchet handle with it so far. It worked well.

Thanks. When I figured out the maker and some of the history I considered selling it. I watched a couple auctions and they didn’t sell for much so I will keep it and use it.

Back