Wolf's Battle Chitlangi

It arrived today!

I special ordered this 23" Chiruwa Chitlangi back in january and was pleased to find that it arrived in Reno last Friday.

It's exact measurements are:

23.75" overall length
17.25" blade

It was made by Kami Santosh who IMO is proving himself as a great addition to the shop in Nepal.

I wanted the chiruwa handle not for added strength, but for more weight in the handle, and therefore better agility.

And sure enough, the experiment was a success. This is a big khukuri, but it is deceptively fast and cuts like the dickens.

Kami Santosh gave the blade's cutting bevels a slight concave geometry, but the bevels are still stout and tough. The edge bevels become gradually flatter and thinner as they get closer to the tip, resulting in ferocious slicing power.

It didn't take long to put a good edge on it either.

Thank you very much, Ms Yangdu! Kami Santosh did a good job on this khukuri. It's exactly what I wanted; a big khukuri which isn't too big, stout and tough, yet still relatively quick for its size.

:thumbup:

HPIM0865.jpg

Nice picture, thank you

Impressive design, excellent execution. It looks like quite a knife. Here's hoping you don't run into any zombie hordes on which to test it!

I hate to say it Wolf, but I have had that very Chitlangi in my head for some time except with the horn handle.
Thanks for showing it.

I'm sure that I am only one of many who have been reading about Wolf_1989's search for his perfect Khuk...congrats on getting your Battle Chitlangi! ;)

Many of your comments and the replies to them have very much influenced my thoughts regarding design features and handling characteristics of the type and style of Khuk best suited for my demands.

Bring on the test review!!!:thumbup:

I took the time to finely hone the edge to just where I wanted it.

Slicing power: Very good. Santosh put extra curve on the cutting edge at the tip. The result is if you snap the blade and hit a soft target (I used a styrofoam archery target), it cuts with little-to-no resistance. Think of an extra-heavy katana or scimitar on a draw cut. Be very careful on your follow through if you have a large khukuri with edge geometry like this one has; it will cut deeper and easier than you think.

Chopping power: about the same as my 20" Ang Khola.

Balance: Exactly what I expected. This is a large khukuri with a chiruwa handle. It weighs about the same, maybe a little more, than my 26" Chitlangi by Bura. It's heavy. BUT that extra steel in the handle gives it the agility of a smaller khukuri combined with the reach and WHOOMP! of a larger khukuri.

Fit & Finish: Typical good work from kami Santosh. While it doesn't have the subtle grace of my Chitlangi by Sher, it achieves its own aesthetics by giving the appearance of a wicked and powerful no-nonsense cleaver, which is exactly what it is. This is a serious anti-zombie khukuri. I bet it could be used to behead a tyrannosaurus too.

The edge bevels are unique in that they begin convex at the cho, gradually become flat, then gradually become very slightly concave. As the edge bevels progress from the cho, they gradually become wider and thinner. You can really lay some deep slices with the tip of the blade because of this.

Strength: Typical H.I. goodness. I can't even flex this thing, not even by slamming it into the grain of a fallen oak log and trying to bend it with everything I have.

I sacrificed an old hardwood chair with it. It might as well been made out of toothpicks and popsicle sticks.

After chopping and slicing for about an hour, the edge remained surgically sharp.

Back