Woman survived for a month in New Zealand

Too many mistakes !!! Any one of them could have been fatal ! A very good lesson on what not to do.

It pays to be tough. :thumbup:
And a determined attitude and confident, self-reliant personality didn't hurt either.

Quite a different outcome than the woman AT hiker we discussed recently. That woman sat and waited to die despite relatively good weather conditions, proximity to civilization, and easy terrain.

How does being tough pay?
If they'd been weak city folk hipster sheeple they'd have stayed at home still be alive and being able to pass on their genes.
Sadly tough guys tend to die first.

Respectfully, I can't share cynicism that tough guys tend to die first. My sense is that the weak die first. The will of this woman carried her to rescue following the harrowing experience of losing her companion to death. His demise was an accident that transcended toughness. An accident can befall anyone. Yes, be wary, be prepared. Sometimes the slope will be deadly, slippery ... take the chance and you are gone. Nothing to do with being tough.

It is the after time, the bare realization, the slogging, the cold, the hunger, the looking to an empty sky where you seek hope ... defying it all through persistence, doggedly hanging on. That's tough.

In my world that's tough anyway.

Well, she was tough enough to live, so maybe she can pass on her genes too.

I mean, she had to endure frostbite, and she at least tried to create items which would help her get out. And perhaps there's more to it than simply passing on your genes. Who knows? The weakest grouping together may only be passing on their genes for the short term, and this could effectively be a way of evolution/God/ideology wiping them out.

But that's a whole other discussion that detracts from what we might learn from this story. Personally, I'd like to know what led to the man falling. Perhaps just icy snow and they didn't have crampons, or deep snow gave out on a narrow path.

It sounds to me like they either didn't have any snowshoes or only had the contemporary trail snowshoes. Got to have traditional snowshoes at least as a backup in conditions like this, or at the very least an idea how to make your own skishoes. Winter camping is no joke. (I was also wondering about the blankets, if that's all she had, she's very lucky to have survived at all.)

Would so have appreciated your agenda for discussion stated upfront.

Wow! " didn't have any snowshoes or only had the contemporary trail snowshoes. Got to have traditional snowshoes at least as a backup in conditions like this, or at the very least an idea how to make your own skishoes. Winter camping is no joke. (I was also wondering about the blankets, if that's all she had, she's very lucky to have survived at all.) "

May we re-set at clarity please. Please.

What's my agenda? And what's the issue with that quote?

You seem to be saying that it lacks clarity. But is it not clear that in conditions where you may not be able to walk on the snow you should have a tool which makes this possible?

Hey Chignecto W ...

Sorry, I was abrupt. May I say that I do not start threads much because it is a responsibility. I so respect those who do. When I respond to threads I hope to have some understanding of where the OP is.

This one was pretty open and it invited all comment - which I like as well. I must have found the miraculous 'wormhole' to actually view the link which is pretty unusual here on dialup, and so my interest was caught and I got involved.

So, to continue, my sense of this conversation is that you are interested in the preparedness? Hey, I have some snow camping experience ... a few too many years to divulge ;)

Carry on, please

Back