Wondering about CS knives/DVD

Ok, I know that this is the CRK forum, but Im curious about Cold Steel knives.
Yesterday Ive watched some clips from their "Solid Proof" DVD, and I gotta say there is some pretty impressive stuff on there and what they do with their knives. In fact, it looks unbelievable, even.

They are smoothly cutting cardboard, meat, thick rope and that like-and that by just hitting these things ONCE. :eek: :D

Heres a sample (there are a buttons to watch the clips for these particular models on the right hand side of the page)
http://www.coldsteel.com/60h.html#
http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-tanto-series.html#

I cant help but wonder if their knives are really so incredibly sharp and capable of doing all that, or if the DVD is just a REALLY well done and well edited bit of marketing (of course it is a marketing tool, but I guess you know what Im trying to say ;)).

After all, I dont think that ANY of my knives (and that includes a Cold Steel Tanto as well), would cut as well as the knives shown in those clips... .
I mean I could see longer and heavier knives (swords) to cut that well and in this particular manner, but shorter/folding knives? :eek:

Any thoughts on this? :)

PS : dont worry-I wont switch over to CS knives now, and will stick with CRK. :D ;)

Ok, I know that this is the CRK forum, but Im curious about Cold Steel knives.

You should have posted this in the Blade Discussion Forum. This forum is for the discussion of CRK not Cold Steel. This will be moved shortly.

Sorry, I didnt want to stir things up here. I just feel more at home in the CRK forum, and wanted to get an opinion from fellow CRK people..... .

Sorry, I didnt want to stir things up here. I just feel more at home in the CRK forum, and wanted to get an opinion from fellow CRK people..... .

You would most likely get a biased against CS opinion by asking only in the CRK Forum.

Ok, I know that this is the CRK forum

:confused: :confused: :confused:

moving-van.jpg

I feel Cold Steel makes fantastic weapons but not so much when it comes to utility. All of my Spydercos, Reeves (hold the Jereboam II), Benchmades and Microtechs are CPM-S30V. While there are exotic steels available, this is the cutlery steel of the new millennium as it has proven to have great properties in edge retention, impact resistance, ease of resharpening, and corrosion resistance. If you want a respectable knife, you use S30V despite the relatively high cost.

Cold Steel uses primary AUS-8, VG-1, and Carbon V. I do not know the properties of any of those but AUS-8, and AUS-8 does not hold a respectable edge compared to Super Steels. VG-1 is unknown and Carbon V seems to be most similar to ATS-34 as it hold an OK edge, and rusts very easily. They advertise Carbon V to hold an excellent edge where I have not seen evidence of this from heavy users of their V-Kukri. As far as lock strength, their locks are behind the times (the DVD hangs on their strongest knife 200 pounds...the Spyderco Chinook will hold somewhere over 1000 pounds) and some claim they have ripped others off despite the fact that they have their own patents on these locks and opening mechanisms. There was a big issue in the past with the lock on the Ti-Ti Lite failing in action and in ones pocket and opening up. I saw the damages first hand which happened to a customer of my favorite cutlery store. The liner locks on their production knives are not the best but definitely not the worst.

Cold Steel does make San Mai III; a gorgeous steel which is made by forging and polishing to a mirror finish. Most of these blades are defense oriented so I cannot tell you how they hold an edge (theoretically they should fare exceptionally well), but their finish is excellent on both the blade and the handle. The fit and finish on these knives are amazing and shows that Cold Steel indeed has the technology to make an amazing blade. The liner locks on the models which use them are perfect in their lockup time after time. The tang engages to the ideal spot. However, the San Mai III models are expensive to make and expensive to buy ($250+). Subsequently, Cold Steel has made rather affordable pieces otherwise (hold their swords) which for the price one can't really complain.

As far as the DVD, Lynn Thompson can sell exceptionally well. So can Tony Marfione of Microtech (that's the only reason he is still in business). How many times do you need to pierce a car roof? And they don't show the true after effects to the blade which realistically is probably dull and damaged. Hell, a screwdriver will pierce a car roof if you wanted to but is this practical? Lynn also sells the idea of the 'Tanto' which is a modified version of a real Japanese Tanto and has become the Americanized Tanto. If I remember correctly, Mr. Bob Lum made this and Mr. Thompson made it popular. The utility uses of this knife are few, it is hard to sharpen, but it looks neat and therefore it sells. Sex sells, so does neat looking things. Every knife maker has followed in their 'Tanto' but Lynn sells it the best. That DVD doesn't tell you that the best piercer is not a Americanized Tanto but indeed a double edged spear point...Cold Steel makes these and they are GREAT piercers. A Americanized Tanto will not pierce Kevlar...a spear point (the one he makes called the Peace Keeper I believe) does...but there is a novelty to the 'Tanto' and Mr. Thompson sells this like a pro...that's good business. The Kukri and cardboard one can only speculate. His Kukris are well designed and affordable and the blade profile does not take much effort to cut. However, those I know who own them have not found their edge retention to be great like the video sells. Overall, some people hail it as an amazing video and other people hail it a 'mall ninja' video. I am going to say it is in between. They do demonstrate how some of their models are very impact resistant which is a very real time demonstration. I'm also personally interested in the heat treating process, materials in these unknown steels, the handle on fixed blade models, and edge retention for practical uses.

In the end, you have to be the judge.

CS products and their marketing have been discussed more often than most of us would like to remember. Try using the search function and you will find more info than you want.

After all, I dont think that ANY of my knives (and that includes a Cold Steel Tanto as well), would cut as well as the knives shown in those clips... .
I mean I could see longer and heavier knives (swords) to cut that well and in this particular manner, but shorter/folding knives? :eek:

A big sword, or giant knife, aren't going to cut as well as a small knife if they are dull and the small knife is razor sharp.

If you feel your knife isn't capable of slicing through things than it probably isn't very sharp. You should spend time on these forums learning how to sharpen knives and invest in some sharpening equipment. That way you can get more out of your knives.

Back