Recommendation? Wondering which to buy?

Hey !
I found 3 optional options :
1: SOG Powerassist
2: SOG Power Lock
3: LEATHERMAN Rebar
Which one is better and why? and if you have any other recommendations I would like to hear :)
thx

What are you planning on using it for? General around the house, urban/wilderness EDC, work (what industry?)

To be honest, you've picked two F-350s and a Ranger, so while they are all good, narrowing your uses is going to be important. I've not had a power-assist but have EDCed and work-carried both the others. The Powerlock, for me, is too heavy to just generally carry everyday. The Rebar has fewer capabilities, but I would EDC that one.
Pro/Con:
SOG Pro: Change out implements (its a mission, but it can be done) Leverage from the gearing in the jaws (at the expense of overall opening)
LM Pro: Lighter, better finished tools, replaceable wire cutters. If you already carry a folder, you can get the blade-less rebar and trade up for scissors.

I would put the ST300, or the Wave more in line with the SOGs, the Surge is even a tier heavier, and at that point price is going to start becoming a factor, as I'm not sure what current pricing is at. And at that point we are getting close to Victorinox territory, and while they are not for everyone, they are good.

Agreed, depends what you want it for and how you are going to carry it. If you are going to leave it in a car or bag, get the 1 you want. If you are going to carry it on you, weight does become issue.
mitch

Hey !
I found 3 optional options :
1: SOG Powerassist
2: SOG Power Lock
3: LEATHERMAN Rebar
Which one is better and why? and if you have any other recommendations I would like to hear :)
thx

After having been a Leatherman/Vic carrier for decades, I vote enthusiastically for Rebar. It hits the sweet spot--not too big, not too small, has all the tools I have needed for three years, supplemented with a Vic Manager carried in my jeans watch pocket. It takes little space carried in a belt pouch, along with a mini flashlight and mini Sharpie (sadly, discontinued) that I use for graffiti. Occasionally I miss my Charge, but more often, the Rebar is with me when the Charge is not.

What are you planning on using it for? General around the house, urban/wilderness EDC, work (what industry?)

To be honest, you've picked two F-350s and a Ranger, so while they are all good, narrowing your uses is going to be important. I've not had a power-assist but have EDCed and work-carried both the others. The Powerlock, for me, is too heavy to just generally carry everyday. The Rebar has fewer capabilities, but I would EDC that one.
Pro/Con:
SOG Pro: Change out implements (its a mission, but it can be done) Leverage from the gearing in the jaws (at the expense of overall opening)
LM Pro: Lighter, better finished tools, replaceable wire cutters. If you already carry a folder, you can get the blade-less rebar and trade up for scissors.

I would put the ST300, or the Wave more in line with the SOGs, the Surge is even a tier heavier, and at that point price is going to start becoming a factor, as I'm not sure what current pricing is at. And at that point we are getting close to Victorinox territory, and while they are not for everyone, they are good.

Same here, I have the Powerlock and Rebar, but not the Powerassist. Powerlock would be more in line with the LM ST300/Surge for the size and weight, while Rebar is definitely one size smaller.

Comparing the two, here are what comes in mind:

Powerlock > Rebar: leveraged pliers, scissors, 1/4 drive, serviceable pivot screws

Rebar > Powerlock: Size and weight, better tool implements(personal preference), replaceable wire cutter

I too probably would choose Rebar over Powerlock for EDC, due to size, tool qualities and my needs, but YMMV.

Same here, I have the Powerlock and Rebar, but not the Powerassist. Powerlock would be more in line with the LM ST300/Surge for the size and weight, while Rebar is definitely one size smaller.

Comparing the two, here are what comes in mind:

Powerlock > Rebar: leveraged pliers, scissors, 1/4 drive, serviceable pivot screws

Rebar > Powerlock: Size and weight, better tool implements(personal preference), replaceable wire cutter

I too probably would choose Rebar over Powerlock for EDC, due to size, tool qualities and my needs, but YMMV.
Or should i choose leatherman multitool 300 ?

Unless you have a XL or XXL hand size which ST300 may fit your hand better, personally I would prefer Rebar as an EDC carry(I have a M/L size hand, in Mechanix gloves) since it is smaller and just as functional as ST300.
In quality and stabilty who wins between these two?

For everyday stuff, the the Rebar is probably more what you want. At the price, if you find you are always short of a certain tool, you'll have an easier time upgrading later. Quality-wise, the rebar and 300 are very close. The 300 will be a stronger tool due to its size, but you have to be carrying it to count. Leatherman has a pretty bulletproof warranty, and once you get a feel for the tool you'll know when to stop and go get the real tools. Its always going to be a compromise, but I think I'd take the rebar, all else being equal.

For everyday stuff, the the Rebar is probably more what you want. At the price, if you find you are always short of a certain tool, you'll have an easier time upgrading later. Quality-wise, the rebar and 300 are very close. The 300 will be a stronger tool due to its size, but you have to be carrying it to count. Leatherman has a pretty bulletproof warranty, and once you get a feel for the tool you'll know when to stop and go get the real tools. Its always going to be a compromise, but I think I'd take the rebar, all else being equal.
Finally I chose one and already ordered. I chose the 300 cause the size and duraliblity.
Thx for everybody for help and suggestions !

Back