Wondering...

What is the difference between a BM 10 and a BM 30?

I've seen multiple pics of both, and I have a hard time tellin' them apart.

Also, was the model 10 made by Benchmade or was it still Pacific Cutlery?

Seeing the both of them in one picture, or in similar shots, detailing the differences would be helpful. Or just a simple explanation if I'm missing the obvious again.

Here are some pics which i've been using:

For the Model 10:

This one from GTASteel's Albums
bm+10.jpg

This one from Chefgets (labeled as Pacific Cutlery, hence the confusion)
pc_10.jpg

The Model 30:

One of the ever impressive shots from Gollnick
production2F.jpg

PS Thanks to those people whose photos I used.:D

PC made the Model 10 and 68, both having the same blade but with the 68 having the countersunk holes and hidden pivot pins.

The Model 30 and 35 are BM products. It uses the same style handles as the 10 (no countersunking) but is installed with a high polished (possibly hard chromed) blade. Aside from the blade's polish, another way to tell is the end of the blade grind. The 10 has the straight end grind line, whereas the 30 will have a curved end grind line (best seen in the Model 35 in Chuck's pic).

In PC to BM parlance, the 30 is the decendent of the 10, and the 35 is the decendent of the 68.

What could be most confusing is that during the PC to BM transition, the Models 10/11/68/69 appeared in both catalogs.

Forgot another important difference: The blades of the 30 and 35 will have a swedge, while the 10 and 68's have full spines.

The PC 10 and BM 10 (different tang stamps to differentiate between them, I know, I've flipped them both and I own a few PC 10's) have a utility blade or a "full spine" as Tony put it. The BM 30 has a small swedge (false edge) which makes it a weehawk blade, that is the only difference between the 2, the small swedge.
I did have a very old BM 30 that was hollow ground and sharpened by Jody Samson, it had an extremely tiny tang stamp and on the reverse all it had was "Made in USA" instead of any patent numbers or "Benchmade USA".

The 10, 11, and 30 have exposed pins and the larger holes are not countersunk, the 35, 68, and 69 have polished pins (hidden pins) and the larger holes are countersunk.

The knife I have is not a 35, then. It has no swedge.
The back of the blade does, however, say Benchmade USA.

Strange...:confused:

Does your knife have the polished (hidden) pins and countersunk larger holes?? If so then it is a 68, if not then it is a 10 :)

The pins are exposed and there is no swedge, meaning this sounds like a PC 10. But the tang stamp says Benchmade USA. Am I just confused? I wish I could post a picture, but that isnit an option yet. I bought this knife from a friend of mine, and was thinking about selling it, so...I wanted to know about it first.

Back