Wood splitting wife

So I was out splitting wood the other day and while I was bucking, my wife decided to try her hand at splitting. I normally split with a Fiskars X27, and whatever I can't split with that I get after with a 12lb sledge and wedges. Watching my 5'3" lightly built wife trying to split with that Fiskars was a horror show waiting to happen so I asked her to stop.

Now, she really wants to help, and just as importantly she's independent enough that she wants to be able to split wood without me.

Any suggestions? I have an older version of the Fiskars X15 that I keep in my truck, she hasn't tried that yet. I was thinking something boys axe sized would probably work for her. Fiskars makes some splitting axes that are a bit shorter, I'm not sure what the weight is. I would imagine she'd be more comfortable with something in the 2-3lb territory. I'm not married to Fiskars axes, I've just accumulated a couple because they seem to work well.

I thought about getting a really heavy duty froe, but I think that'd be more work than she'd like. We're mostly splitting oak, black walnut, and Chinese elm; but it's really whatever the various tree companies clean up around town (including plenty of hackberry which we avoid).

The x-27 was probably awkward for her because it is so long. The x-25 is 28" which she might be way more comfortable with. That's the one I have and I love it. If the x-25 is too heavy, go with the x-17, she should be able to handle that for sure. Once she learns the technique needed for splitting she will be fine. My aunt is maybe 5" tall and she split with a 6lb maul until she was at least 80. It's definitely knowing what you are doing over raw power.

Not sure the x-15 is the best as that is a chopping axe and might just stick in the wood a bunch since she won't be swinging very hard.

I do love the fiskars splitting axes. They aren't as cool as old American axes, but they simply work good.

I guess I get to buy a couple more axes, oh darn... :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention, she's less likely to try busting up big rounds, but would instead be making slightly smaller splits out of bigger splits or splitting out 6-10 inch diameter rounds.

a shorter handle will let her be closer to the wood also which will help a lot with her just getting started out. just make sure she has an appropriate height chopping block so she isn't chopping herself in the shins.

and yes, this is a great problem to have! I've never had to worry about my wife wanting to help split wood!!!!

I had my girlfriend come down and split wood for the first time a few weeks ago. I gave her a 3-1/2# Dayton on a 36" haft to use and she got used to it after 5 minutes. I just asked her if she thinks she would prefer a shorter haft but she said the one she used was fine. She's 5'4" and medium build. I'd just let her choose! That's awesome for you though that she wants to split. I'd LOVE to come home and find some wood split!

Yeah, talking to my wife this evening it sounds like we might get into something in the 4lb territory (the fiskars is 6 IIRC) on a long straight haft and cutting it down if necessary. I have a hookaroon on a 30something inch curved haft that she can swing around and see what she thinks of the shape.

To be completely honest my only experience with axes had been either with the Fiskars (a straight haft) or with the 8lb maul I had growing up (also a straight haft). I hadn't realized how comfortable a curved haft could be, and I've never had to do anything other than split wood with an axe. I've been splitting wood for probably 30 years off and on, and never knew there was anything other than 8lb mauls and heavy sledges and wedges until recently!

I guess I get to buy a couple more axes, oh darn... :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention, she's less likely to try busting up big rounds, but would instead be making slightly smaller splits out of bigger splits or splitting out 6-10 inch diameter rounds.

For small stuff a boys axe will do the job.

A couple of sharp wedges and a single jack can tackle a lot of wood.

I bought my daughter a 2.5 lb sledge and cheap Chinese or Mexican hardware store hatchet for making kindling. She likes it. Sure, the poll gets deformed but you just throw it away and get another. Do it with a $10 harbor freight hatchet.

Reactions: A17
The slidehammer thing is pretty neato, I know she could make that happen. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still going to buy another axe or two; you know, for testing...

Next you must teach your wife how to shoot firearms. I used to instruct for the NRA and women learn to shoot faster and much better than men. Women should be self sufficient as much as possible.

Reactions: A17
Back