Woodchunk hard at work !!!

Wanted to show that the WoodChunk is not just for heavy duty work!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363143080.830038.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363143114.227773.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363143155.167987.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363143179.922867.jpg

I'll post pictures of the final product. What you see so far represents about
5 hours of work.

Last edited:
very cool!
If you decide you want a different thread title, click on edit, then advanced -- text box near the top of the screen will let you rename the thread to something more descriptive.

I stand in ahh.....

I'll just come right out and say it.... You're very inspiring, thank you for posting yet another masterpiece. !!! I'm honored to have created something that allows you to create such beautiful work... As JV3 said in another thread, you could sell those within the community very easily.... Knife nuts can surely appreciate the dedication and time spent on these lovely specimens... :D

Keep the pics coming.. !!!

Thank you very much again for such nice comments about my carvings/therapy. I love doing it. It's very soothing.
Thought I would include a few pictures of the latest project.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363747143.030681.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363747159.343722.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363747179.658036.jpg

That would be cheating. :)
Only knives are used.
I usually pick a knife or two and use them exclusively on that piece.
These are truly only a form of therapy. After a tough day at work, nothing settles my mind better. Beer comes close, but I can't do both. And after a few hours of beer, the only thing I have to show for it is a full recycling bin.

Wow!
My brain just doesn't work in those kind of dimensions. I greatly admire your work! I'm a dentist, and I think that I am pretty darn good with my hands. But, what you are doing is truely impressive. My therapy is my leather work. It keeps me inside the coloring lines.
Balding

his sculpting really is impressive.... cant wrap my mind around either.... I could start it, maybe even have a vision but then I wouldn't know where to go and would be completely lost with a whittled stick :D....

and your leather work is out of site as well.... and excellent therapy, like you guys I also find working with my hands can be therapeutic kinda just numbs you...

You all are very kind with your comments. Thank you.

I think what you do with steel and wood is amazing. That is an art form that is actually useful and provides generations of joy. My stuff is simply to keep me from going completely wackadoo and when I die, will be tossed into a roll-off dumpster in the driveway.

As far as having a vision when doing a piece, nope. No vision. No pencil. No drawing. No planning. I just start cutting and stop when I think, "enough is enough". Been doing that for at least the last 25 years.

A year ago, I threw out a bunch of them and months later, found them in a bag, stashed in the basement. Seems my daughter retrieved them from the garbage. Everything I've posted though, is new work and done with a Battle Creek knife.

Interesting thing about Rob's knives is that they have an aggressive cut. Not sure if it is his heat treat or what, but his knives like to cut. Other knives from other makers made from Aldo's 1095 don't stack up. Closest one is a small Bushie from Tackett. Only knives that compare are made of O1 from Fiddleback and Blind Horse Knives. Thing is though, I always come back to my Creekster. The steel thickness, Scandi grind height and handle geometry make it the least fatiguing knife I have. The WoodChunk feels great also, but due to the fact it is build to cut man hole covers in half, does require more oomph to cut, and with the delicate stuff I do, the Creekster is like cutting with a scalpel.

I sure don't keep posting works to get pats on the back. I merely want to show what a fine knife can do.

I know you're not patting yourself on the back and I really love to see your work have showed it to the wife and kids here and they're amazed as well... and with your daughter retrieving them I find it hard to believe they'll end up in the roll off dumpster:D ..

I'm honored to see these and can't say enough..

Back