Wooden you?

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
WILS and Mnandi arrived this week, a very good week so far!

Had the WISS for a while now, with Box Elderwood inlay, the Large wood inlay is California Buckeye burl, the Mnandi is ziricote.

Nice eh? Wooden you? :)

Amazing bunch of wood ya got there Gary ! The large is extremely cool ! !

Originally posted by 32055
That small wi is just...well beautiful!

Thanks 32055,

Here is a link to a real large closeup of the WISS closed that shows the wood nicely!
You will probably have to copy and paste to see the link, geocities is frowning on hyper links...

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/closeupwood.jpg

Mr. Graley-

As a multiple WI owner, do you know if CRK can refinish the Woodies just like a regular Sebbie? I just picked up a 2001 Small Box Elder, and I'm disinclined to use it if it cannot be refurbished. Thanks.

By the way, that Buckeye Burl WI is AWESOME. :)

Kevin, not sure, the wood as you know is above the Ti a ways and I would think that sanding it down would be possible, but brush finishing the facing surface of the ~Good Side~ would be out of the question. I've used mine for a while now and she's held up very well but then I don't take it into the mud pit as I would the plain jane models, which I have done before!

So that is my opinion and your milage will certainly vary, especially when Anne or Chris replys to your post, or I'd recommend a call to them tomorrow and speak directly to them about the matter...

At one point I also owned a very lovely pin striped wood inlay but when I found out that the blade coating could be marred by food or blood I never used it but sold it right away and bought the one you see above. I like to be able to use what I buy!
G2

ps
32055, I was posting the same time as you...you're welcome that Box Elderwood has some lovely character!

Gary, those are great! If you ever decide to let go of the small please let me know first :)

Recluse, I could be mistaken but I believe the wood in these knives is a polished finish as opposed to a chemical. If it's anything like the polished woodworking I've done you could literally buff it out with an old t-shirt.

I openly admit this is just speculation so I could be wrong.

Ok I could have sworn I heard G2 singing "I'M A LUMBERJACK I'M O'K" .... Nice trio Gary :D

Originally posted by tallpaul
Ok I could have sworn I heard G2 singing "I'M A LUMBERJACK I'M O'K" .... Nice trio Gary :D

I work all night and I sleep all day....
I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.
;)
hehe love that song...

I knew I heard you singing it!! :D Now if we can get a sebenza in the left behind series to go with the barret .50 in the next book.....

I cut down trees
I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I were a girlie
Just like my dear papa...

:D

OK............:)

Anyway, I e-mailed CRK with the question about refurbishing the WIS, and got a pleasant and thoughtful e-mail from Bridget advising me that they CAN indeed refurbish one. I don't doubt that it could get extensive though, because if a full refurb were needed it may involve removing the inlays..........

Gary as you teased us already how about a large scan(s) of that large. PLEASE.

You made a great choice there Gary! With reference to the other thread on naming the Sebbies, congratulations on bringing together Papa, Mama, and Baby Bunyan :D into your collection!

Matthew

Originally posted by Tommi
Gary as you teased us already how about a large scan(s) of that large. PLEASE.

I try not to tease people with knives!!! ;)

So here is a close up and I'll also post a link to a REALLY big close up as well.

The center lighter coloured wood, has been called a Heart of Gold, but I noticed today when I rotated it, it looks more like an Eagle flying through the Clouds of Turmoil and Smoke!
Do you guys/gals see this too?

you'll need to copy and paste the link to go out and see it...

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/1nicewood.jpg

Originally posted by Smooth Bone
You're right, Gary!

Now you've got to name it!!

Frank

Good Idea...

<center>Freedom !</center>

Back