1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Wool Hoodie

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by 22Hornet, Dec 27, 2018.

1. 22Hornet

22Hornet

Apr 2, 2012
    Does any one have a source or a recommendation for a wool hooded jacket?
    Zip up front, preferred but a pullover would do.

2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
  3. 22Hornet

22Hornet

Apr 2, 2012
    315 likes this.
  4. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    If you aren't in a hurry and can swing the cash outlay, the Lester River Boreal shirt is much more substantial than the Asbell hoodies. Not that those are bad, but the Boreal shirt is an order of magnitude above it. The Asbell hoodies are nicely made but not real thick, not much more than a regular hoodie pattern in heavy shirt-weight wool fabric. The Lester River hoodie is hand made to order from heavy blanket-weight felted wool, and is about as good an outdoor garment as you will get. The only downside is the Lester River shirt is only available in green. The Asbell shirts are mostly in stock items and you'll get it in a few days, the Lester River can take weeks as its made to fit your individual measurements. Having both in hand, I can say the Lester River shirt is worth the wait.

http://lrbushcraft.com/lester-river-bushcraft-100-wool-boreal-shirt/

Odog27 and d762nato like this.
  5. Inazone

Inazone

Aug 27, 2012
    I went the opposite direction weight-wise, and got a Rambler's Way merino wool hoodie. Very lightweight, comfortable under a heavy winter coat. I wear one of their lightweight merino pullovers on nearly every trip, but until recently never thought to see if they offered something with a hood.

6. 22Hornet

22Hornet

Apr 2, 2012
    A hood is very handy in cold, wet, or windy conditions. I have not committe to anything yet.
    I would probably use one as a mid layer. I will check out Rambler's Way.

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I have Ibex hooded wool sweaters. Though more for skinny frame, or urban jungle. I like that asbell wool sweater though mentioned above. I may have to give one of those a try.
    In any case I'm impressed with the ibex line of wool that I have.

Also another company that makes good hooded wool sweaters is varusteleka in Finland. They do world wide shipping and have good rates and prices. There also the only place you can get a Terävä Skrama one really well reviewed knife. Just type wool in the search bar. The Jämä Blanket Shirt is made from finish army wool blankets iirc. But they have various other styles and army surplus.

8. Danketch

Danketch Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2007

Can you post pics of both of them? Comparing thickness? Been looking at the blanket weight Asbells for awhile. Like the price compared to the popular bushcrafty one.

9. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    It's a shame that Ibex bit the dust and I hope the reboot happens.

When I think of wool mid-layers, I think of knit sweaters more than woven material. Here's an example:
    https://www.aransweatermarket.com/wool-hoodie-pouch-pocket

For mid layers that I plan on wearing under a shell, I strongly prefer open weave pile (not fleece) or knit wool sweaters. I actually want the wind to go through these layers when I open my shell zipper or pit zips so I can dump heat better. In any event, searching for traditional knit sweaters might open up more possibilities.

For wool outer layers, I strongly prefer tough wind resistant woven wool. Johnson Woolen Mills has several jackets with hoods. I have an old hand-me-down Outdoor/Hunting jacket I got from my grandfather with a convertible hood/collar. They still make it, along with Mackinaws.
    https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product-category/men/coats-jackets/

These are much warmer jackets though and are designed as outer wear, not as mid layers.

10. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Kind of pricey. USA made. Very high quality.
    https://voormi.com/

I also have a couple Filson wool coats that are great, but I don’t think they have a wool hoodie.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    This thread is awesome
    I have a Grey sweatshirt my dad gave me. 1/4 zip.
    Wierd side pockets
    And UGLY AF.

It's been nicknamed " the ugly grey sweatshirt"
    Its kept myself and several friends warm on several occasions. May have even helped one friend prevent hypothermia.

Its pretty warm. But its beat up and seen better days. So I have been looking to replace it. Since most of these are USA made, I'm definitely going to pick up one or 2. I can finally retire the ugly grey sweatshirt. And get a new one!!!:)

Hard Knocks likes this.
  12. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman RansomWildernessCo Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 13, 2013
    A little late, depending on where you are, but something for the fall and next winter. Weatherwool has a zip up Hoodie that looks real nice or a pull over/anorak style as well as a hooded ski jacket. On the more expensive side, but you can request free fabric samples - it really does feels great against skin. https://weatherwool.com/collections/jackets/products/hoodie

Mo2 likes this.
  13. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007