Wootz care with steel wool

Hey everyone, so I have a knife that is supposedly Wootz. Of course I had my doubts but it might actually be wootz, there is just something different about it, almost how they describe Valyrian steel that when you look at it, it's almost that you are looking "into" the blade, like it tells a story, so I am going to just go with it as wootz. It is nicely patina'd, just a hint of a reddish color coming through in some places, but no pitting or anything. I used - 0000- steel wool and wd40, much of the reddish color came off, and it looks slightly brighter, but the patina appears unharmed. There are still some spots that have a reddish hue coming through.
So, am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to put more elbow grease?? Should I go to the -000- first?? Ise copper or bronze wool?? I don't want to ruin the beautiful grayish blue patina, but I want to make sure to keep red rust away, especially if I am sticking with the assumption that is is wootz, I want to take good care of it, so any other advice would be welcome!!
Thanks everyone, and enjoy the holiday weekend!!!

I'll be interested in hearing replies.

I have one wootz blade by the late Al Pendray, master smith. The other, which is called UHC / wootz, is a hunter by Heimo Roselli of Finland.

Pendray3.jpg

RoselliHunter2.jpg

I'd just leave it as is and appreciate the unique texture of wootz; wipe it down with a good rust preventive (I use CLP BreakFree on all my high carbon blades). I treat my leather sheathes with SnowSeal to prevent them from absorbing moisture, as well.

S SerenitySoldier
May I ask you to have another look at the carbon blade you rubbed with the steel wool #0000 and WD40 a few days ago, and tell us if you see an increase in oxidation or even new points of pitting?

I ask because I stopped using steel wool on carbon blades, wootz and damascus in particular, for its iron dust that drops into micro-crevices in the blade surface and rusts there, but other forumers argue this is not an issue.

So what do you see?

S SerenitySoldier
May I ask you to have another look at the carbon blade you rubbed with the steel wool #0000 and WD40 a few days ago, and tell us if you see an increase in oxidation or even new points of pitting?

I ask because I stopped using steel wool on carbon blades, wootz and damascus in particular, for its iron dust that drops into micro-crevices in the blade surface and rusts there, but other forumers argue this is not an issue.

So what do you see?
Funny I was just looking into this. It looks ok, it is brighter after cleaning but I don't notice any type of spots...yet at least and it's been about 2 or 3 weeks. I have heard bronze wool is better. Thoughts on that or better alternative??? Thanks people!!!

Back