Wootz - The True Damascus Steel? (thx @Larrin)

Great video Larrin Larrin
Performance potential seems fairly low, but it seems like a good canvas to create some interesting appearances. I'm a little bored with many of the common pattern welds these days and favoring things like cable damascus which sometimes can look a bit like Wootz.
I prefer the appearance to not also have a hamon.

Great video Larrin Larrin
Performance potential seems fairly low, but it seems like a good canvas to create some interesting appearances. I'm a little bored with many of the common pattern welds these days and favoring things like cable damascus which sometimes can look a bit like Wootz.
I prefer the appearance to not also have a hamon.
What looks best is definitely highly personal. Not sure Wootz patterns really do it for me but I haven’t spent a lot of time studying them.

I really like Al Pendray's work. I was thrilled to pick up a stag / mokume wootz hunter from him years ago at the Guild Show in Orlando.
I sold it to a young pup here a few years back who fell in love with Al's work and I couldn't say no to him.

I remember, way back at the Ashokan Seminar, when Al Pendray visited and discussed Wootz steel, he was a very soft spoken guy, down to earth, he has since passed away back in 2017, here's a video about Wootz steel

G2

Back