Working late sucks.

Every now and then I have to pick-up the late shift (4-12) and when I get home my entire sense of time is thrown off. Such as right now for example. It does not feel like it's 1:00am for me.

Normally I try to be in bed by 10:30-11:00 (I know, I'm 30 going on 70), but it takes me so long to wind down after work. Normally several hours.

I don't know how some people do it. Particularly working the over night shift like my fiance does. Of course, she's a nurse. So they get paid very very well to pick-up those over nights.

I've worked the late shift and nights and I think the late shift is worse so I sympathise!

On nights, I pretty much collapse into bed after getting home but it takes a warm drink and some computer time to wind down after a late shift.

Yeah, takes me hours to wind down. I'm just now starting to get drowsy and it's almost 4:00am. I get super jealous of my woman. Second she lays down she's out. Don't know how she does it but I envy it.

I work a 24 hour shift. On top of daily duties and regular dispatches we conduct some sort of training during the day. If we get a fire or major incident call in the middle of the night we are pretty wiped out and it takes most of my 3 days off to recover.

I work graveyards on Friday and Saturday's... at a homeless shelter... in an "interesting" part of town.:p

I've worked outside from 5pm-2am since my sophomore year of high school. It does indeed suck. I can't tell you how much crappy reheated drive through food I've had and my eyes are permanently adjusted to the dark. You never really get used to it, it's just at some point, you just stop caring. I do look forward to the time that I don't have to work a job with crappy hours and crappier pay, but it doesn't look like it's going away any time soon.

And did you know there's this big bright thing in the sky, kind of like the moon, but brighter, what is that thing?

Back