World War Two & Schrade Cutco

tongueriver

Gold Member
Does anyone know what Schrade Cutco was doing during the War? We know that Schrade at that time did not make fixed blade knives for the military or anyone else. I think I know that they made "rope" knives like the N361. The electrician knives are a sure bet. What else? There were exact government restrictions at that time. Anybody have anything to offer here? For that matter, does anyone know who is left that may have been working for Cutco during the '40s? If a young man turned 18 years old in 1945 and started working for Schrade on that day, he would be 86 this year.

Look for the paratrooper's auto line cutters and perhaps the floating raft knives. I seem to remember some military utility pocket knives. Schrade Cutlery Co. was on the downturn during the war years, much as Dwight Devine & Sons/Ulster was prior to the war, thus Baer's incintive to buy both at firesale prices.

I think the line cutters and floating knives were post war. They did make two (large and small) bone handled single blade press button knives just for the war effort. Not a huge volume though. There really weren't the tight quality control restrictions you'd expect either, at least not until after the war. The only requrements of Albert Baer's monster order was that they be "good quality".

Back