Worst Knife Reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J85909266

Gold Member
Most of us have probably had many moments in our lives where carrying or using our knives scared or made another person uncomfortable.

What is the worst reaction you ever got?

For me, it was when I had to go to the local courthouse. I was carrying a Spyderco Military. I was aware that I would not be able to pass through the metal detector with it in my pocket, so I put it in the basket assuming it would be placed in an envelope and given back to me when I left like any other time in my life that I had brought a knife to a place that prohibits them. I was not expecting what happened next.

The security guard picked up my knife and eyeballed it as if it were a nuclear missile. She then proceeded to open it clumsily and almost cut herself. At this point, she started screaming to the other security around her that it was basically a sword and I needed to leave. I politely asked her to place it in the envelope and give it back to me when I left. She refused and acted as if I attacked her, and asked the other security guard to do something about it. He looked at me sadly and told me it would be best if I left the building and came back without it.

It was a decent walk from the car to the courthouse, so I said "okay" and then walked around the corner and put it on top of a vending machine in the lobby area. Did my business. Walked out when I was done and grabbed my knife.

Wow!

Mine can't top that.

I was at work one day and I took out a 2 3/4" (if that) knife and used it to slit open an envelope. The head of H&R walked past, glanced down & recoiled in horror and asked why I felt the need to carry such a weapon in the work environment. I just glanced her way and shrugged my shoulders like it was no big deal (which it wasn't).

A couple of months later, I saw her in the break room using a knife twice the size of the one I had in the above story to slice a birthday cake.
I was sooooooo tempted to ask why she felt a weapon like that was appropriate for the workplace. :D :D

I decided I'd used up my quota of "don't say that unless you can stand the repercussions" for the week...

I can't say that I've ever had a bad negative reaction to a knife I was carrying, but I have a non-confrontational personality.
So usually my daily carry matches where I will be going during the day.

The only incident that stands out, is a co-worker once referred to a small liner lock I was using as a switch blade.

J8, imagine if you had one of those XL espada things, or like the new kershaw XL strata with a 5.5" blade?? :D
0.jpg

No bad reactions that I can recall. I had a German coworker ask me if it was legal to carry my SOG Access Card but he was more intrigued than worried.

My Boker Nano got the "dangerous weapon" reaction, once.

I clipped it back in my pocket, and pulled my carabiner off my belt loop, held it up, and asked her if she thought that was a "dangerous weapon". She could tell I was going somewhere with the question, but had to admit that it wasn't.

I wrapped a couple fingers around the clip side, so that part of it was out in front of my knuckles. I asked her again, if she thought it was a "dangerous weapon". She agreed that it was, now. I clipped it back to my belt loop, and explained that the difference was what you did with it. Then I told her that I didn't expect to change her mind, but she had seen a knife do something good, so remember that.

I don't remember what I had to cut.....

There was this one time I went to a place carrying something that I knew wasn't allowed, carried it anyway, and then I was confronted when it was discovered. THOSE people are the crazy ones, not me though!

:rolleyes:

This is such a mischaracterization of what OP said. You have seniority (high post count) and experience (long time member) around here, more is expected from you. I have done what OP stated many times. I always carry a knife. About twice a year I go to a courthouse/city building. Every time, for many years, I put my knife in the tray. From there, it goes in a drawer and back to me when I leave. Every knife has been 3.25+ and it's never even batted an eyelash. Around my parts this is normal enough security is totally unconcerned. Location obviously matters, I'm near the middle of Illinois away from large cities.

OP is saying the same thing I just said... At metal detectors, put knife in tray, have it stored and then returned. He knew the deal, obviously not his first time. He was NOT trying to sneak it in or do anything malicious. Surrendering a "weapon" at a checkpoint is bad how? He was not carrying something he shouldn't. He did not try to carry it where it was not allowed. You say after it was "discovered" he was confronted. My goodness, you need to work for news outlets to spin headlines like these from obviously different facts. It was voluntarily placed in a tray for viewing and not found on his person hidden in a shoe as he tried to slip through the metal detector. Confronted means someone comes up to you. He walked up and (let me try paraphrasing) said please hold my knife while I conduct my business as done many times before.

EDIT: People say the guard was just doing her job and handled things ok. Her job (if they have the hold it for you policy) was to happily take and store the knife for return later. Getting worked up and calling for help/making a big deal was not her job. Her emotions took over, maybe the job is not right for her. How would she act if a real bad guy pulled a gun and started shooting? It's hard to talk about people without it getting out of hand. I basically regret commenting, but want to clarify my stance.

Last edited:
There was this one time I went to a place carrying something that I knew wasn't allowed, carried it anyway, and then I was confronted when it was discovered. THOSE people are the crazy ones, not me though!

:rolleyes:
OMG! Me too!

But then another time when I saved the life of the Mayor's nephew, there was a special relaxation of the rules made for me, due to the fact that the nephew(who will remain nameless to prevent a scandal) was saved by me using my knife.

This is such a mischaracterization of what OP said. You have seniority and experience around here, more is expected from you. I have done what OP stated many times. I always carry a knife. About twice a year I go to a courthouse/city building. Every time, for many years, I put my knife in the tray. From there, it goes in a drawer and back to me when I leave. Every knife has been 3.25+ and it's never even batted an eyelash. Around my parts this is normal enough security is totally unconcerned. Location obviously matters, I'm near the middle of Illinois away from large cities.

OP is saying the same thing I just said... At metal detectors, put knife in tray, have it stored and then returned. He knew the deal, obviously not his first time. He was NOT trying to sneak it in or do anything malicious. Surrendering a "weapon" at a checkpoint is bad how? He was not carrying something he shouldn't. He did not try to carry it where it was not allowed. You say after it was "discovered" he was confronted. My goodness, you need to work for news outlets to spin headlines like these from obviously different facts. It was voluntarily placed in a tray for viewing and not found on his person hidden in a shoe as he tried to slip through the metal detector. Confronted means someone comes up to you. He walked up and (let me try paraphrasing) said please hold my knife while I conduct my business as you've done many times before.

I don't like confrontation, but needed to speak up here... promise I'm done. As I do the same thing, your comment felt like a personal attack to some degree.

Everything you just said is incorrect. "More is expected from me"? Ok, then. :rolleyes: And what are you even talking about? Both OP, AND you have accounts older than mine! What nonsense is that?! LOL

This was yet another "People who freak out over knives being where they shouldn't be, are dumb" post. If you are going to a government building, common sense tells you to leave knives and guns in the car. Maybe you live where that's allowed, and great if you do. However, my comment wasn't a personal attack, it was commentary on how dumb these threads get. It's page one and we already have someone calling non-knife people "sheeple". Words don't adequately express how stupid and insulting that term is. Seems like you haven't been around here much, or else you'd know how they go. If you feel personally attacked, I can't help you with that.

If you are going to a government building, common sense tells you to leave knives and guns in the car.

In fairness, I think it's quite common for the situation the OP describes to be the norm in buildings with metal detectors. I've been in several both ways, where you can leave any forbidden items basically like a coat check in a small basket with the security guard or deputy; and where you can't leave things and have to return them to your vehicle. I don't think it's clear that the OP had specifically gone to that courthouse before and been able to do that, but if he had, it would be reasonable to expect to be able to do the same again.

Reactions: DMG
In fairness, I think it's quite common for the situation the OP describes to be the norm in buildings with metal detectors. I've been in several both ways, where you can leave any forbidden items basically like a coat check in a small basket with the security guard or deputy; and where you can't leave things and have to return them to your vehicle. I don't think it's clear that the OP had specifically gone to that courthouse before and been able to do that, but if he had, it would be reasonable to expect to be able to do the same again.

Which, if that's the case, still means that this thread is ultimately about bashing people who do not react well to knives being presented. Those types of threads are denigrating, and condescending. Would you agree?

Edited to add: And actually, my opinion is still that if you are going somewhere you know weapons are not allowed, why would you carry something to that place to surrender to people you don't know, when you could just leave it in a locked car instead? I certainly would not give an expensive knife to a security officer, that's for sure. Those places have "XYZ is not responsible for lost belongings" signs for a reason.

Which, if that's the case, still means that this thread is ultimately about bashing people who do not react well to knives being presented. Those types of threads are denigrating, and condescending. Would you agree?

I don't think so, as the OP said nothing denigrating the guard, but I would agree if it was "these threads always turn into bashing people who do not react well to knives being presented," since that only took until... Post 3.

I don't think so, as the OP said nothing denigrating the guard, but I would agree if it was "these threads always turn into bashing people who do not react well to knives being presented," since that only took until... Post 3.

No, he didn't. He just came here and posted up with a "Can you believe these people?!" tone to a post, which is my point. Let's all have a good laugh at this crazy security guard who didn't react well to my ultra stabby four inch knife that looks like a murder weapon*. Let's all share some stories about people who aren't knife people, those people are dumb!

* One of the things I enjoy about the Military, candidly speaking.

No, but he did paint the security guard as spastic, clumsy, over-reacting and unprofessional.

I kept a handcuff key on my keyring, because I thought it was cool. The cops at the courthouse did not think that was cool, but they just held my keys until I concluded my business. I took it off my keyring after that.

Everything you just said is incorrect. "More is expected from me"? Ok, then. :rolleyes: And what are you even talking about? Both OP, AND you have accounts older than mine! What nonsense is that?! LOL

This was yet another "People who freak out over knives being where they shouldn't be, are dumb" post. If you are going to a government building, common sense tells you to leave knives and guns in the car. Maybe you live where that's allowed, and great if you do. However, my comment wasn't a personal attack, it was commentary on how dumb these threads get. It's page one and we already have someone calling non-knife people "sheeple". Words don't adequately express how stupid and insulting that term is. Seems like you haven't been around here much, or else you'd know how they go. If you feel personally attacked, I can't help you with that.[/QUOTE

Well put and agreed.

I kept a handcuff key on my keyring, because I thought it was cool. The cops at the courthouse did not think that was cool, but they just held my keys until I concluded my business. I took it off my keyring after that.

I thought I was cool :cool:, walking into the courthouse all cool like. The cops said wipe that cool off your face or else! I never did feel as cool after that! They confiscated my coolness! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back