Worth Collecting ZDP-189 Knives?

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
I was intrigued by the ZDP-189 high Rockwell numbers when these were first released and have been collecting them for many years. Anyone else in the BF gang interested in knives with this ZDP-189 steel blade? Now the Maxamet knives seem to have surpassed them. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a number of them, even used them at work. ZDP is great stuff, for cutting but never prying in any way. Don't have any MAXAMET to compare with, at least not yet.

I have a handful of ZDP Spydercos, and quite like them.

L1001577%20-1tn-XL.jpg

My current favorite is this one, because I like the long discontinued Endura Saber grind, and the fit in the scales came out great.

i-W7RLjxq-X2.jpg

Roland.

I had a ZDP Stretch before I knew anything about it. I loved it, and wish I still had it. I like all of the knives posted in this thread. I had not considered it before, but yes, I suppose if there is a steel you really like, and it is not common, why not collect different models with that steel?

I use ZDP-189 every day. I love it. It sharpens up easily on Shapton Al2O3 stone because it has no Vanadium. Maxamet has more Vanadium than S-30-V, so I would not be tempted to try it.

I have 2 spydercos in this steel.

an endura and the Keychain knife forgot the name of the model. I put that Keychain knife through hell. dropped my keys dozens of times on concrete and cut everything with it. always did well and never broke. I like the steel, but not enough to collect it.

recently got an endura in zdp189 and it's been put to the test...really like this steel haven't had to touch it up and its still crazy sharp after seeing some pretty hard use here lately...I'd consider another knife in zdp189

I have a William&Henry Tracker. It's excellent steel. I love it, 67Rc needs virtually no sharpening. I've had mine for years.

ZDP-189 is a great steel and it will not be surpassed in many decades, I am thinking. I have a couple of knives in this steel and one in my cart. I think your idea of collecting knives in this steel is a good one.

Maxamet has a cool name, but K390 is better over all that it is.

I have several Spyderco knives in ZDP and like the steel. Easy to sharpen and long lasting edge.

My thoughts exactly. With modern sharpening abrasives ZDP-189 seems to fall where s35vn was meant to, a good balance of performance and ease of maintenance.

Here is one of my favorite YouTube ZDP-189 videos about an Endura 4. I thought it interesting how the guy initially didn't care for it, but after doing a super sharpening was very pleased with his little self and says he wants to get one.

It's always worth collecting things of interest.

ZDP doesn't require diamond stones since it's all Chromium Carbide.

From a maker perspective there are better steels such as M398.

It's always worth collecting things of interest.

ZDP doesn't require diamond stones since it's all Chromium Carbide.

From a maker perspective there are better steels such as M398.

Is it because custom makers cannot get ZDP? The only US made knife with it that I know of is William&Henry.

Is it because custom makers cannot get ZDP? The only US made knife with it that I know of is William&Henry.

Price and effort to acquire is high.

Low hanging fruit is more available and cuts longer.

I like ZDP but it's difficult to justify except I like the fact it doesn't need crazy stones.

Its actually more like a carbon steel than a stainless, all the chromium is locked away in carbides giving little free to prevent rust for a stainless steel.

Spyderco getting ZDP out in big quantity is very impressive and is often taken for granted.

It might go away one day.

Price and effort to acquire is high.

Low hanging fruit is more available and cuts longer.

I like ZDP but it's difficult to justify except I like the fact it doesn't need crazy stones.

Its actually more like a carbon steel than a stainless, all the chromium is locked away in carbides giving little free to prevent rust for a stainless steel.

Spyderco getting ZDP out in big quantity is very impressive and is often taken for granted.

It might go away one day.

My W&H is clad with stainless, but I have had no corrosion problems on the 1/4 of exposed ZDP. It's designed for outdoor use (Tracker pattern) It gets a fair amount of use, enough that it needed repair due to the button lock spring.

Mike Stewart once said when he participated in Knifeforums that ZDP is Japanese distributed only and implied the W&H blades were Japanese made. W&H had blades made in Japan by Moki, but they were upfront about it and used a different logo. I don't believe him.

Back