Worth sending to get stabilized?

I would just sort out the best ones, but if some were really gnarly with holes I'd send them too and cast them with Alumilite to fill the voids. The problem being too few voids looks kinda silly.

stablizing scales is always a crap shoot. Mango in particular can twist, bend and warp. I like to leave at least an extra 1/8 on everything i send for the risk of deformation

I have some oak that looks very similar, some great, some is holy. I plan to send it and see how it looks.
I kinda like the aged look.

Where do ya all send your scales to get stabilized. And what do they use to stabilize them? Cant it be done in the home shop? I have a butt load of figured wood. ( been working wood for years) Why wont a good dry piece of figured maple work for a knife scale??

In my opinion, K&G does the best stabilizing. I tried doing my own stabilizing. I bought an expensive vacuum pump, got a pressure tank, etc. K&G does a better job. I took two pieces of wood that weighed the same. I stabilized one, and K&G did the other. I then weighed the two blocks and the K&G was the heavier. Also wood stabilized by them does not pick up stain when buffing.

Those all look horrible and totally useless, especially not any good for knife handles. Please send everything to me for proper disposal. :D

Back