Would a discussion of larger lock backs fit?

mthall47

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
I have recently begun thinking about a fairly beefy, to be worn on the belt in a case type of lock back folder. Would that fit into this discussion group?

Certainly, the Buck 110 and The Queen Mountain Man are traditional indeed, see here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352695

I also have nice big lockbacks from Schrade, Case, Boker and Puma, there surely are many more out there.

The Buck 110 is a classic, and you can get one in fancy steel and handles from Buck (well when the shop opens after they settle in Idaho), check them out, go here and click on the Create a custom 110 link:

http://www.buckknives.com/

Luis

This one by Cold Steel has caught my eye....

csstoreonline_1847_47761

I think they fall into the traditional class. Although im not sure if that Cold Steel does. Anyway, the Buck 110 is an excellent choice, even in its standard 420hc version. The latest of the type I have picked up is a Craftsman (Camillus made) copy of the 110. At Sears, they were cheaper than any of the on-line places I checked and you have the ability to get warranty replacement at the local sears store rather than having to send it somewhere. Well built, but still the Buck is tops in this style of knife.

Just wondering if there is something even better overall quality than the 110?
I had one years ago, and just wondered if they have made some with updated, newer steel, etc.

THanks.

Bucks custom shop offers the 110 with choices of steel, handle scales and bolster material. As far as your run of the mill standard 110 and its clones, difficult to beat the original.

Cabelas.com has the Buck 110 with S30V steel blade. I hope to get one soon myself. So many knives and so little money.

---Jim

jmccullough32 said:
Cabelas.com has the Buck 110 with S30V steel blade. I hope to get one soon myself. So many knives and so little money.

---Jim
I've seen that knife in their catalog. Can you tell me what the advantage of the S30V steel would be over the regular steel? On the Buck website, you can also order one made with ATS-34 or BG-42. Without getting into a big discussion on metallurgy, can you tell me the basic differences between them all? And which is best for easy resharpening?

Well as I understand it, S30V is one of the newest high tech stainless steels. From reading comments on the forums it is a little harder to sharpen, but holds it edge longer than other steels. Hearing others singing it's praises, has made me want one.

I'm sure others with more experience than myself will have more to say.

---Jim

jmccullough32 said:

---Jim

In my opinion this is the best deal going in the knife industry right now. I have one and it's great!

Buck's quality on the 110 has been exceptional in recent years and the S30v blade is great. Their edges are sharp as a laser right out of the box with a nice thin profile for easy maintenance on a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Edge maintenance should not be much of an issue.

Cabela's 110 - $60 (IIRC)
Sharpmaker - $40 (1sks.com)

You'll still have money left over when compared to buying just the knife from another company.

There are a few custom makers doing Buck 110 type knives but I'm not sure you could imrove on the quality, maybe just have some different material options.

The Mountain Man knives were just featured in Tactical Knives Magazine...type "MT. Man" and/or "Mountain Man" in the search box at this site:

http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

I haven't seen any pictures showing the bottom or top of these knives which is too bad because that would really show how beefy these fello's are. Blades are 1/8" thick with a solid lock up. Different models use D2, ATS34 or 420HC...but the D2 rules!

Buck's are also nice but their locks are hit or miss. The blade on my last Buck moved beyond it's locking point under slight pressure...when I cut something the blade moved backwards and I could feel the back spring rising out of the handle...it was an uncomfortable feeling. I sent it back to Buck for repair and they said it's within their tolerances.

That is something to look out for in all lock-backs but I have not heard of this problem in any Queen/Schatt & Morgan knives.

Collecter

I like the Puma General. It's got a thinner profile than the buck 110 and is aluminum not brass for the frame. I've had one since 1986. The lock is a little worn, but with a Boye detent dremeled into the release lever, it's not a problem. It's a one hand opener with either the thumb on the flat blade or flicked open. When I was younger, I wore it white trash style in a black puma sheath upside down on the hip for one hand quick release and opening. Don't need no clips or opening studs. Knife's in the open so there's no concealed carry. Blades at the legal limit of 4".

Being a Biker,I think having(and wearing a Buck Lockback) was a requirement ;) for membership.The only Lockback I own now is a Spyderco Chinook(The 1st version)designed by J. Keating.As soon as I saw it in a Knife mag.,I HAD to have one.IMHO it's the best production lockback ever made. :cool:

There is a Case Cheetah swing guard lockback that has caught my eye......Blue bone, fit and finish was great.

Back