Would a police officer actually bust you for an automatic knife if you had a CCW permit?

Hi. Years ago I asked the officer who was renewing my LTC if I would get busted for an automatic knife if I was found to be carrying it which is illegal in my state (not illegal to own, but only to carry). The officer replied: "Well, no self respecting police officer that I know, in seeing that you can legally carry semi-automatic pistols, would bust you if they discovered that you were carrying an auto knife. However, if you had just committed a crime and that was found on you, then that would be added to the charge to be sure!" What do people think? Now, my smarter brain prevails and I do not carry an auto just in case but of course, I would like to! It'll certainly be resolved when I can retire in a few and move to a free state, but I hope you don't mind the question. Thank you for your time!

The lawyer addressing our CCW class said that CCW privileges did not apply to automatic knives. So don't try to extend your benefits if you don't want to lose your CCW license. Since then, automatic knives have been legalized here. Double edged knives have not. Pay attention to the fine print if you want demonstrate your desire to be a law abiding citizen.

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense to risk it and at the heart of it I think I am just expressing my wish/frustration at this "nanny state" nonsense! I have other knives, assisted or good detent that have larger blades with openings as fast or arguably faster, so again, no point to risking it! Thank you, all! I can't wait to move to a state that I consider still part of the US of A as our funders intended!

Interesting. What state do you live in?

Here in PA, the cops really don’t care what knife you have in your pocket as long as you’re not acting belligerent or causing a disturbance. Usually, if they see you have an automatic knife, they’ll likely just confiscate it or let you off with a warning and tell you to take it home.

I don't understand this sort of mentality.

If it's illegal to possess or carry in your state, then don't do it.

Don't rely on the statement of a single police officer that if he or she caught you with it, they wouldn't do anything about it. Do you think all of your encounters with law enforcement in your state are going to be with that same officer?

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense to risk it and at the heart of it I think I am just expressing my wish/frustration at this "nanny state" nonsense! I have other knives, assisted or good detent that have larger blades with openings as fast or arguably faster, so again, no point to risking it! Thank you, all! I can't wait to move to a state that I consider still part of the US of A as our funders intended!
More and more, our funders are shaping things. Our founders would be disappointed.

I don't understand this sort of mentality.

If it's illegal to possess or carry in your state, then don't do it.

Don't rely on the statement of a single police officer that if he or she caught you with it, they wouldn't do anything about it. Do you think all of your encounters with law enforcement in your state are going to be with that same officer?
Of course not. I was trying to see if there was a general consensus from police officers on what would likely happen to help me assess risk versus benefit.

Some may bust you for a Swiss army knife. Even if it's legal..such things can cause trouble sadly if you are in the wrong spot at the wrong time with the wrong Leo.

So really..I'd stay away from anything illegal for sure.

Here in PA, the cops really don’t care what knife you have in your pocket as long as you’re not acting belligerent or causing a disturbance. Usually, if they see you have an automatic knife, they’ll likely just confiscate it or let you off with a warning and tell you to take it home.
Massachusetts

CCW doesn't cover knives. It also doesn't cover speeding, littering, or tax evasion. My point is that laws are very specific and you should never expect a law to imply something it does not directly state.

That is a blanket statement that is simply not true.

Reactions: DMG
That is a blanket statement that is simply not true.
That’s just what I heard. Of course, it’s not always going to be the same situation with all cops. You most surely will have problems in Philadelphia (you technically can’t carry ANY knife in the city). Rural areas tend to be more lenient on things. Of course, I always recommend everyone follow the rules and if there’s something you can’t carry, best not to carry it.

Of course not. I was trying to see if there was a general consensus from police officers on what would likely happen to help me assess risk versus benefit.
Trying to get a general consensus among cops is just as difficult as getting one from any other large group of people. Just about impossible.

Even if you managed to do that - say 99% of police went on record to say they’d be ok with your auto knife - would it be worth the risk then to be charged with a felony and lose a bunch of rights and privileges?

Consider that at least in CA, felonies are “shall arrest” crimes, so technically an Officer is REQUIRED to arrest you for a felony even if they don’t personally agree with it. A new Officer especially isn’t going to risk losing his/her job just to give you a break.

Don’t do it. :)

risk versus benefit.
Always stay within the letter of the law, especially if the violation is a felony , unless you feel that there is some overwhelming risk in doing so .

Carry what is legal and learn to use what you can carry to best advantage .

Training , practice , awareness , and avoidance are far more important than any particular weapon .

Back