Would anyone be interested in a custom balisong?

Ive been making knives under Reese Weiland (designer of the Microtech Hawk) and he has jigs set up and designed by the late Ron Miller. I can produce custom made Balisongs with Titanium, steel or aluminum handles, ats-34 blades, and custom inlays if wanted. The knives are exact and you wont have a problem with pins or handles breaking on these babies. I realistically could produce these for around $350 for a standard aluminum model. Turn around time would be pretty quick on these. I am going to make 2 to start out and see how people like them. Is there a market for these? Does anyone want a high quality custom balisong? If so...lemme know and I would be happy to produce them. Thanks.

david brunner
tampa, florida

[This message has been edited by Bandityo (edited 09-06-2000).]

Is there a market for these? Does
anyone want a high quality custom balisong?

You obviously haven't read the thread about Mr. Ralph's Gemini project. Within 12 days of announcing this balisong project, Mr. Ralph booked 25 orders of $400 and way up each. When Benchmade announced the model 42, they sold over 500 of 'em before they shipped one (well, ok, one. But let's not go there.). At the peak, Benchmade was back-ordered over 5000 pieces on the 42. This was one of the most successful new product introductions in their history.

My suggestion to you is to make your two prototypes as you've suggested. Take some pictures. Post 'em up on the web. Maybe send the knives around to a few folks for evaluations.

Maybe get a sheath maker to make some good sheaths for 'em too.

I'll bet you'll sell plenty of 'em.

I'll be only to happy to help out.

Ron Miller made some very nice balisongs. I have several of them.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

[This message has been edited by Gollnick (edited 09-04-2000).]

If you build them, we will cum.......... er, uh, come.

Seriously, get to work. There are plenty of us in here that would want them. Do like Chuck suggests and make a proto or two, then post some pics in here.

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

People are weird, they like good things. They enjoy one of a kind, they love originality. Build some, go radical, go stale, go every which way, but do it. I have been looking for someone like you all my life (sounds a bit freaky there). Post examples and people will come flocking like duck to a pond.

Good luck

Sir,
I know REESE,but i am not fam. with you!
When did Reese give up equip. from Ron.Last info from Reese was he still had equip!
jim

Make 'um up!!! If you can make a high quaility custom bali for $350 or so YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SELL THEM! I'd love to take a look at one and would be willing to buy one if you'd agree to let me check it out with a couple day inspection period.........
eek.gif

>> At the peak, Benchmade was back-ordered over 5000 pieces on the 42. This was one of the most successful new product introductions in their history.

According to the Benchmade, they were having quality control problems with the machinery they use to make Balisong Knives with, and needed to retool. But I noticed at the same time, they were getting into making Automatic Knives. It looks to me like Benchmade decided to invest in making Automatics, and the result was, they were delayed in retooling and had to stop making the production model Balisong for a short period of time. Even though they continued to make the custom Bali's. So, this created quite a backlog of people who were wanting the Benchmade Production Model Balisong Knives. 5000 is not a very high number when it comes to Balisong Knives. Just one importer of the China made knife that I know of, had 8000 of each color in stock. Six month later they were just about sold out, so just this one importer sold at least 50,000 butterfly knives. The bottom line is the reason Benchmade is selling in the tens of thousands, instead of the hundreds of thousands, is the price. There are a lot more people willing to pay $10 for a knife, then there are people who are willing to pay $100 or more for a knife. A shortage of supply can push up demand and price. If you have one knife, and 100 people who want that knife, then maybe 5 of them would be willing to pay $100 for it, and 5 of them would be willing to pay $5 for it, and everyone else would fall somewhere inbetween that. China butterflys would be selling for $25 each, if there were a shortage, but when there are plenty of them, you can buy them for around $5- $10 each. When Taylor was importing Japan made butterfly knives, I was selling them in the $12 to $15 range. Now those same knives are selling for a lot more than that, because there is more demand than supply. People ask me why I sell the Batangas Balisong's so cheap. The reason is, that I have had hundreds of them to sell. But then the people who buy them from me, if they decide to resell them, only have a few, so they can afford to wait around for someone who is willing to pay the higher price. I have not seen to many of you, reselling the knives you have been getting from me recently, so you must be wanting to hold onto them for now
smile.gif
Thanks JohnR7 (on Ebay) www.BalisongKnife.Com.

Reese has not given up any equipment. I am working with Reese on many knives and learning from his expertise. He is owner of Ron Millers jigs and doesnt have the time to produce balisongs. He agreed to let me produce them at his shop. If you know Reese and Ron Miller - these will be high quality balisongs. I am going to start on some today and let you guys see how they are...they should be awesome.

David

p.s. a large % of each knife sale goes to Ron Millers widow.

g_o_d bless Ron MIller's soul
smile.gif
good luck!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Back