Would love to see this Ontario knife section grow, but...

if an Ontario Rep does not frequent the place to help out with questions and such... Well, I could see it remaining slow around these parts. Oh well, I was hoping it would be different... but, que sera, sera.

PKJ,

We are always lurking. The OKC moderator spends much time here and I check in to answer technical questions. Being a moderator is a touchy job...too much and it tends to squash discussion too little and the posters feel abandoned.
Sorry if you are feeling the latter.

I see you are from CNY. I spent 15 years in Syracuse before moving back to WNY.
What town are you from?

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company.

Thanks for your response & input, Sir!
As for me, I was born and lived in the Orange County NY area most of my life... but now reside in Solvay NY, which is on the border with Syracuse NY :)

Last edited:
Hi PKJ,

What's been interesting to see is that some of the best resources are you guys. We'll pop in with answers where it's needed (and in a lot of cases, we ask Toooj when it gets technical). But for the most part, we're actually pretty big fans of your discussions. Paul's right, we really would rather the community here talk about what's interesting to you and jump in if we can really add something, but we'll take it as a note and maybe be just a touch quicker on the draw.

Thanks,
OKC

Give it some time, this subforum is still quite new. I'll bet some people haven't even noticed its there :)
Meanwhile, the more content we create here, the more people will come :thumbup:

I had encountered a discrepancy on the OKC website some time ago, and sent an inquiry to confirm the information...I never got a response. (frustrating!!)
I believe it was because a few items were posted as being made with 1075 steel vs 1095; I'm pretty sure at least one item had contradicting info on the site (one blurb said 1095, the other said 1075), and others I had seen conflicting specifications elsewhere. I'll be back when I find the details.

Okay, I found it (or at least part of it).
The Bush series Afghan was listed as 1075 in the description, and 1095 in the specs. That has been corrected - 1095 in both places.
The OKC HD 22" and CT5 22" machetes are listed as 1075 on your site (most of the rest are 1095). I have the HD model; but everywhere I saw it before I purchased indicated it was 1095. Doesn't really matter all that much, I was just hoping for confirmation

Darn, we're now raiding refrigerators... lol! ;)
My favorite Pocket knives are a tie, with my liking my Queen & Case knives most.
When it comes to fixed blades, my favorites are my Ontario. It is the fixed blade brand of knives I currently own the most of. My man gadget collection has diversified quite a bit... but something about Ontario being a historic US company, still made in NY USA, being government contracted, being made of good quality, and being a good value... well, just puts them at the top of the heap for me :)

Yep, most manufacturer subforums don't get that much traffic. And I think most people on BF are interested in (higher end) folders rather than fixed blades.

I only wish OKC knives weren't so expensive over here. Basically they take the US MSRP, change the $ to € and thats it. A RTAK 2 is 190€ over here :eek:

hhmoore,

Should be 1095 on both accounts. We are trying hard to correct those inconsistencies before they get out to the public. Proofreading info is a very difficult job. Anyone who has done it will tell you.

PKJ,

Solvay HUH? Hope you are enjoying the local delicacy of Fried Cat. (LOL)

Twice a year we can go to Toooj's and raid his refrigerator.

Hey that's great! You can keep all the stuff that has turned green and fuzzy.
Seriously, our goal is to get a Sub forum like the Becker Forum. Ethan and his mods run a pretty interesting pirate ship down the road.
Our Mod (Drew) is a pretty interesting guy so I'm sure he'll be keeping you guys hopping.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife

lol!... I'll definitely leave the cat thing for the Solvay natives.... Then again, if done right, it does go good in Green Pepper Steak, lol! ;-)

I had encountered a discrepancy on the OKC website some time ago, and sent an inquiry to confirm the information...I never got a response. (frustrating!!)
I believe it was because a few items were posted as being made with 1075 steel vs 1095; I'm pretty sure at least one item had contradicting info on the site (one blurb said 1095, the other said 1075), and others I had seen conflicting specifications elsewhere. I'll be back when I find the details.

For what it's worth, we've been a lot better about responses to that sort of thing recently. Sorry you didn't get a response at the time. You may have noticed that the site changed dramatically about 2 months ago - that was not something that was done lightly, and we put a solid 3 months of development time into it. We're making changes every day (Toooj is actually checking on the 22" machetes now to confirm). To be completely honest, we could have someone work on it full time for a year and we'd still have things we want to add. That's the great thing about websites when compared to catalogs though, you can keep making those changes.

So, here's the message Toooj sent back - "The 22 in Machete is 1075 for added toughness."

It makes sense to me that the 22" model would be a different material, now that I'm thinking about it. 22 inches is a long way to go, some materials will hold up better than others over that span. Good thing we have people like Paul who can consider that type of thing before making the machete.

Back