Would this be a good grinder

ce4fd06bd1e0f2ce35c4493ae6a1f1cf.jpg

51a128cc3a23018dfa0c7b9565e51723.jpg

Im having issues finding a 2 x 72 belt grinder anywhere but online and they seem quite expensive. I found this at a tool store in my area and thought it might work well. It is 3 x 78 belt size with a 2 hp motor. The store had belts from 30 grit to 120 grit and this is the first ive seen that size so i dont know whats available. The person i talked to working there is a bladesmith himself and he thought it would work well but i have heard that having to wide of a belt can be bad. The sander costs about 850. Would it work good?

From personal experience, I'd suggest saving the extra money for a KMG or similar 2x72 if you're serious about making knives. I couldn't imagine not having mine with the VFD.

For another $200 you could set up a Coote grinder, which is also a 2X72. I question how the belt selection is going to be with a 3X78. Seems like an odd size to me, but I'm no expert on belt sizes. This is one of the reasons most knife smiths use a 2X72 grinder because of the wide availability of different types/grits of belts.

For another $200 you could set up a Coote grinder, which is also a 2X72. I question how the belt selection is going to be with a 3X78. Seems like an odd size to me, but I'm no expert on belt sizes. This is one of the reasons most knife smiths use a 2X72 grinder because of the wide availability of different types/grits of belts.

That probably depends on where in the world you reside.

I live in Sweden and 50x2000 mm and 75x2000 mm belts is what I find here, and in other EU countries i buy mine from. My grinder is therefore setup for 50x2000 (2x78.6 inch).

I bet a wooden nickle he's in Canada

Where exactly ?

I'd skip that

Buy a 2z72 three wheel grinder with a toolbar

Ya Alberta Canada. Ive never really heard of this size either so belts was my main concern. But saying that id never heard of a 2 x 72 untill i got into knifemaking either. Thanks for the advice i might look more into finding a 2 x 72 for the bit of extra money then i know i can get all the belts i need.

Where in Alberta do you live?
Call Rob or Marlyn at Canadian knife maker supply in Sundre Alberta. They sell 2" X 72" grinders and all knife making supplies. Great/honest people to deal with.
403-556-1113

Back