Would this carry option work for FMA?

RokJok

Gold Member
Hi all,

Please excuse my lack of FMA knowledge. My impression is that there are times when you have knives in both hands for thrusting or slashing. Is that correct?

With that in mind, I devised a way to lash the sheaths for a pair of neck knives together with paracord that makes both blades easily deployable with a double-handed yank. The arrangement is dependant on the placement of the rivets holding the two halves of the sheath together (or the neck cord holes) and aligning two or more of these to lock the sheaths together. I daresay you could add epoxy between the sheaths to further lock them together. The finished rig is in the shape of a capital letter "A" with the handle of a knife sticking out each leg of the "A".

I adjusted the neck cord so that the handles are at about sternum level. Simply bring both hands up to grab the handles simultaneously (I find this a very natural motion) and yank them both downward sharply to deploy. Viola! You are now armed with a blade in each hand.

I have some .jpg images of such an arrangement done in Photoshop with CRKT Polkowski Companion sheaths. My original rig done with Cold Steel Mini-Tacs works even better because Mini-Tacs do not have handles angled downward relative to the spine of the blade. This results in a more obtuse (open) angle for the handles than the Companions give. Also, compared to the Companion sheaths, the Mini-Tac sheaths radius together much more smoothly where they intersect at the bottom of the rig.

Another nice thing about these models of neck knives is that they can be bought pretty cheaply online. The CRKT Companions are about $30 and the Mini-Tacs are about $25. Besides the smooth edge version of the blades, Companions can be had half-serrated and Mini-Tacs fully serrated.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to post the .jpg images into this thread. So if someone can do that for me (or if anyone would like to see them) please email me and I'll email the pics back to you.

Many thanks in advance,
Greg
glmalinski@hotmail.com

Greg,

You can get a free Account at www.clubphoto.com and it is great.

Go sign yourself up and if you have any problems uploading the pictures and then posting them, E-mail me and I will help you out and get you going...

------------------
Usual Suspect™
"Ooh, see the fire is sweepin,' our very street today, burns like a red coal carpet, Mad Bull lost its way..."~R.S.
Knives & Stuff

Don,

Many, many thanks for that pointer.
biggrin.gif

So without further ado, here's the info/pic of the paired sheaths: http://members8.clubphoto.com/greg397346/Knife_Pics/

BTW, it's not as convoluted or difficult as the pattern looks in the picture. Just a matter of having some time and patience. For the kydex artists, it probably wouldn't be too tough to make a double sheath to do the same function.

Thx again,
Greg

[This message has been edited by RokJok (edited 06-28-2001).]

E-mail Clay at Balisongxtreme and he can make one for you, you will have to discuss it with him. He makes a similar sheath for two closed balisongs and you might not get the blade overlap that you want, then again, you might.

E-mail him. slice@balisongxtreme.com

------------------
Usual Suspect™
"Ooh, see the fire is sweepin,' our very street today, burns like a red coal carpet, Mad Bull lost its way..."~R.S.
Knives & Stuff

Dave, I think the MegaBowie neck rig would work best as a double--you know, get the whole symmetry thing going. Two big lumps at belly-button level can't be quite as weird as one.

If people ask you about the outline, just say "I have sagging pecs, and I'm a little sensitive about it, okay?"

Okay, got a picture of this rig worked up with a pair of Cold Steel Mini-Tacs. As noted, the sheaths radius together at the bottom of the rig much more smoothly than the CRKT Companions do. http://members8.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/fetch.cgi/////greg397346/Knife_Pics/jpg/3/3.jpg

Let me pose the question once more please: Do FMA artists work with a blade in both hands on occasion? Or is there always an empty hand? If there are two blades, are they both the same size or is one of them typically larger?

Sorry for not knowing more about FMA, which is why I ask.

Yes, most FMA stylists have double-blade in there somewhere. Not sure I'd want to reach both hands under my shirt at the same time.

Thanks for the info and pointing out how such a rig under a shirt would restrict both hands.

RokJok, though many people will view one knife at a time as more practical, many FMA (and IMA) stylists will work more than one at a time, both of the same or differing sizes, sometimes in alternating grips(one in forward, one in reverse).

Joe S.

Back