Would you actually put a Benchmade Bugout in your bugout bag?

The bugouts a nice little knife. Definitely not something that I'd consider as my only folder in a bugout situation. Honestly, it should be called the Backpacker. That's really what it caters to, the super lightweight backpackers that count every ounce. I mean Benchmade even made the Axis Lock bar titanium instead of steel to save weight and to prevent corrosion. Honestly I think they should have stuck with a steel Axis bar, but we can always change it. I am thankful for my Bugout though, I got it a couple years ago in a "package deal" used, this Bugout, a Civivi, and... I can't remember what the other one was right now, but it brought the total to 25 each, so this is my $25 Bugout! The spine was ground down a tiny bit from a broken tip, and I reprofiled it to 15 or 17 degrees when I got it.
View attachment 2404281
Wow, never knew that about axis lock material, I'm sure that added to the High price...Thanks

An axis lock is the last thing I’d choose, considering they broke on me 3 times by now. Simply not a reliable design. For something like you describe I’d want a fixed blade.

You could buy two Bugouts for the price of a Winkler knife

Well, for a knife that might be your only tool available, I'd much rather have a Winkler fixed blade than an entire pocket full of Bugouts. Small, slim, light, no thanks.

And before anyone asks, I do own one. Plain-Jane S30v and blue scales. I always get a chuckle at how much some folks have spent on aftermarket parts, turning their Bugouts into the quality knife it should have been from BM for that price. 🤷

Everything is a compromise. Maybe a machete or axe or, bazooka for a bugout BAG, there are endless possibilities. I sold my Bugout for the reasons discussed, BUT for clipping to a pair of running shorts or sweat pants it was great, i just prefer Spyderco alternatives, nothing bad to say about the Bugout, different strokes for different folks.

Well, for a knife that might be your only tool available, I'd much rather have a Winkler fixed blade than an entire pocket full of Bugouts. Small, slim, light, no thanks.

And before anyone asks, I do own one. Plain-Jane S30v and blue scales. I always get a chuckle at how much some folks have spent on aftermarket parts, turning their Bugouts into the quality knife it should have been from BM for that price. 🤷
I seemed to have unwillingly stirred up a few people with my comment. My statement was only made in response to an inaccurate statement made by another member here and only pertained to the comparative cost of the Bugout to a Winkler. Comparing any other qualities of the two is kind of silly. They are two different tools for different tasks. I would no more want to count on my Bugout in a survival situation than I would want to whip out my Winkler field knife in my office to open an envelope!

By the way, my "bugout" bag contains a Mora Garberg and a Swiss army knife!

Last edited:
I seemed to have unwillingly stirred up a few people with my comment. My statement was made in response to an inaccurate statement made by another member here and only pertained to the comparative cost of the Bugout to a Winkler. Comparing any other qualities of the two is kind of silly. They are two different tools for different tasks. I would no more want to count on my Bugout in a survival situation than I would want to use my Winkler field knife to open an envelope in my office!

By the way, my "bugout" bag contains a Mora Garberg and a Swiss army knife!
It was an attempt at humor, not mathematical accuracy. Sorry about the smart aleck comment.

Though, I still want a Winkler. That part isn't to blame.

Fixed blade in my bugout bag. Benchmade Bugout in my pocket.
Great little EDC knife, but not exactly an appropriate name IMO.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread they should have called it the Backpacker. That is exactly what this knife was designed for if I correctly remember Benchmade's promo for them, a lightweight camping knife for light duty chores. I've had mine for years (the 535BK) and it's a great knife for EDC (along with my 74mm SAK Executive). IMO, a true bugout knife should be a fixed blade and I keep a couple in my rig that can do heavy work.

Benchmade seems to be a brand popularly derided on this site for some reason. Not my experience with the brand (Griptilian, mini-Grips, the aforementioned 535BK, and a Mini-Presidio). I've been extremely happy with the quality and function of these knives, some of which I've had for years.

No beef with Benchmade for me. Lots of folks love their bugout.
Having said that, It’s not what I would choose for a main bugout cutting tool as the name might suggest. That would be a solid fixed blade. The extra weight of the bugout, be it small, might be better served with a SAK or multi tool accompanying the fixed blade.

Last edited:
No. Not a chance.
I think the name is terribly chosen.
I do have a Bailout, because of the 3v steel choice and I was just dying for some 3v at the time. After spending a significant amount of extra time and cash to buy some titanium scales to replace the plastic ones, and some nice titanium hardware, it still is barely decent as a mildly hd edc folder. I'm still pretty sure it whoops the Bugout. Ymmv

Reactions: DMG
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread they should have called it the Backpacker. That is exactly what this knife was designed for if I correctly remember Benchmade's promo for them, a lightweight camping knife for light duty chores. I've had mine for years (the 535BK) and it's a great knife for EDC (along with my 74mm SAK Executive). IMO, a true bugout knife should be a fixed blade and I keep a couple in my rig that can do heavy work.

Benchmade seems to be a brand popularly derided on this site for some reason. Not my experience with the brand (Griptilian, mini-Grips, the aforementioned 535BK, and a Mini-Presidio). I've been extremely happy with the quality and function of these knives, some of which I've had for years.

It's for one of two reasons, the first time every time:

1. It's because people want cheap knives, and don't understand* why knives made here cost more than knives made in China. Also, they seem to feel entitled in dictating the level of profit Benchmade should be allowed to make. Of course, China's having the last laugh, seen what We/Reate knives cost now? Wooooo, good times! LOL

2. Something something, anti-2nd Amendment something, because awhile back they assisted their local police department in destroying a number of firearms that had been either confiscated as part of a criminal investiaton, or were buyback items.

* Willfully, ignorantly, or willfully ignorantly

I thought the bugout was pretty rugged.
The DBK rave over it.

To be fair, those cokeheads will rave about anything they're paid to shill. They were fawning all over Survive? Knives earlier this year, so they don't exactly vet the products they're paid to advertisereviewing.

Back