Would you par $500+ for a Millie in CPM Rex 121? I would!

I think as the sprint runs get more and more expensive there are fewer potential buyers out there. My frame of reference is actually the Paramilitary 2 but its sales have gone on a similar progression. Roughly speaking the production PM2's should sell for around $100, the sprint runs were originally in the $140-180 range. The Orange and Green ones sold out very fast for around $140, the blue ones took a lot longer at $180. On the secondary market the sprints still sell to some extent at much higher prices. To me this seems to define the upper price limit for most buyers at $180 or just below it. There are buyers at prices above $180 but fewer of them. Go above $300 and there will be fewer still. Whether there are enough buyers to justify a sprint run actually remains to be seen.

No. The military would be a bad platform for that steel. I'd want a thicker wider blade since CPM [121 is so hard and brittle

Maybe the manix XL or something like that would be better.

No, and I don't want Spyderco to become an elitist knife company that charges those types of ridiculous prices. Spyderco would lose its appeal.

Last edited:
No, but I can understand why some would. Besides being wrong handed for me, the Military is too large to fit in my back pocket and I have no need for blades that thick. So, I have no reason to want one. Plus, to me, CPM REX 121 is just another monochromatic grey blade metal. It won't cut any "better", it will just cut well longer and, since my most used knife rarely goes less than a few weeks between sharpenings and I actually enjoy sharpening my knives, "holds an edge forever" just isn't a selling point with me. But, I'd gladly pay twice that for a bolstered "Boye dent free" Stretch in Odin's Eye Damasteel with some nicely figured wood scales, and know that the Military and exotic steels are equally attractive to others.

"can be hardened to rc 72" but will likely be treated down to 66-68 is my guess. if you can design a knife that can do anything from shaving to cutting hand cuffs to scratching grooves on files, maybe i'll consider. on a millie, maybe a sandwich blade. just don't use 420J for the other halves.

as to pricing the millie, it has to be benchmarked with the product of a top custom maker using the same steel. if that maker can crank out something cheaper, it doesn't make sense to offer the military at a higher price, even with an ultra-short sprint run.

Last edited:
I'll pass and I'm a fan of the Military platform. I don't have any qualms about using $200+ knives at work and I just don't see the appeal of that steel in a knife for me. I do like sharpening my knives and this just seems like it would be just too much head ache for me to sharpen,even if I'm touching up the edge. Corrosion resistance isn't a problem for me either. YMMV.

No, CPM Rex 121 sound to be indestructible steel while Military has kind of light usage construction.

No, and I don't want Spyderco to become an elitist knife company that charges those types of ridiculous prices. Spyderco would lose its appeal.

It would be the cost of that steel (REX 121) and expense of making it into knife blades that would drive the cost up that high.

No way. Can't imagine anyone would pay that. Well, someone may, but not many.

I may not even use one of my CF M390's, since I have a CF BG42 that I've been using for a while. They all cut, and I don't mind, and kinda like, sharpening.

Too pricey for my to buy one, but I understand those that would. I would rather get a full custom at that price.

It would be the cost of that steel (REX 121) and expense of making it into knife blades that would drive the cost up that high.

It's not just the cost of the steel, it's basically a ceramic belt per inch of grinding. Farid was getting readings of between 44 and 57 HRC in the supplied (annealed) state.:eek:

It's not just the cost of the steel, it's basically a ceramic belt per inch of grinding. Farid was getting readings of between 44 and 57 HRC in the supplied (annealed) state.:eek:

Yes I know, that's what I ment about the expense.

Back