Would you wait for new or buy used?

So with the wait times like they are, should I throw my hat in and sign up for a Umnumzaan direct or buy a used one?

Just curious to the current opinion. Is new worth it to you or does used help with the itch?

Me personally, I could wait. And I'd rather have new so I guess that answers your question. But if you're truly indifferent to whether your knife is new or used, then why wait? Plus you'll pay less. Assuming you're not buying from some flipper taking advantage of the wait times, whom I would never pay some of the asking prices I've been seeing.

Demand is outpacing supply...and some people are taking advantage of that by selling at higher than new prices. I don't want one that badly, so I'll wait.

Of my current 3 CRKs, one was bought new and two were bought used from the exchange. At this point there really is no difference between them, so I'm glad I saved a little buying used. I'd rather wait than pay new prices for used though.

My issue with the exchange is that everyone wants paypal friends and family, which invokes the honor system but leaves the buyer without recourse if the package is lost in shipping. Insurance is offered as if it were the buyer's purview. I can't understand why anyone would buy on those terms when one can simply buy from an authorized dealer. The knife you like is bound to appear sooner or later. Also, buying used is no guarantee of saving money. In many cases it is quite the opposite.

M Modernflame While the F&F crew has been around for as long as I've been a member here, the current situation is relatively new. It's primarily because people don't want to deal with the tax aspects; but PayPal extending the return window for buyers has been a factor for some, as well.
I've never been willing to pay via F&F, and that hasn't changed because of this. Luckily, I already have more knives than I need; so, if something catches my eye & the seller isn't open to other payment options, it's easy enough for me to shrug off.

It depends what you are wanting a zaan for. This knife for your pocket or your social media? If you are buying to just covet and fondle, stash in some safe or us as a prop for your instagram cred then buy knew because….shiny! If you are going to actually use the tool you buy then nothing wrong with buying something from someone buying and trying or even used ( not abused).
I am a user of tools and tend to run them like rented mules so I buy used until I find out if that knife is really what I want. Then I buy a NIB or close, toss the box and put into service and either sell the first or it becomes the backup. The zaan in my pocket right now is fated to become my backup once a new can be found, bought pre-loved, it has proven to be a fantastic tool that I am sure will survive all the fun things my dumbass will use it for.

I’d look at the list of dealers on the CRK website to see if there’s a straggler in the wild. Then, I’d sign up for notices on as many sites as I could stand for the next time they’re in stock.You might be able to reserve one on a site. If you order one directly, chances are that there’s a whole lot of orders ahead of yours and it’ll be a long wait.
If you buy on the secondary market, there’s always a chance you’ll run into issues. The last thing you want is to get frustrated over something that’s supposed to be fun.
If I’m going to buy from the secondary market from here, I look at the seller‘s history to see if they’re a contributing member or just here to sell knives. Those are the ones I As far as price is concerned, know what they sell for and if you’re willing to pay the asking price, then get one if the itch is strong.

I bought direct from crk. At the time I believe the wait was 12 months, it went by pretty fast. I like to purchase new, just out of a preference to add my own "love marks". I also prefer a knife with no backstory, no failed relationships, and no potential bad juju.

I want one that is like brand new, with box and all paperwork just like a brand new one. I have seen several photos of the used , like new item for sale, but that is not enough. I need 400 more photos and I don't mind asking for 400 more photos while I consider buying it because I know whoever is selling it probably needs the money. Therefore, I will do my very best to get the item for less than half of what it cost new so I can stick it to the seller and brag to my friends on what a great deal I got on a high priced item. I will then start making ridiculous low ball offers, pretending that I'm broke and poor and complicated by the bad economy while making excuses for a lower and lower price as I go along trying to get something for nothing, becasue I am a cheapskate buyer who will then complain about packaging after the item arrives. And if I decide to sell it I want twice what I paid for it. My entry into the , " I'm so tight that I squeak when I walk and I should be paying far less for something I want than the next guy."

Last edited:
I want one that is like brand new, with box and all paperwork just like a brand new one. I have seen several photos of the used , like new item for sale, but that is not enough. I need 400 more photos and I don't mind asking for 400 more photos while I consider buying it because I know whoever is selling it probably needs the money. Therefore, I will do my very best to get the item for less than half of what it cost new so I can stick it to the seller and brag to my friends on what a great deal I got on a high priced item. I will then start making ridiculous low ball offers, pretending that I'm broke and poor and complicated by bad the economy while making excuses for a lower and lower price as I go along trying to get something for nothing, becasue I am a cheapskate buyer who will then complain about packaging after the item arrives. And if I decide to sell it I want twice what I paid for it. My entry into the , " I'm so tight that I squeak when I walk and I should be paying far less for something I want than the next guy."
Pretty sure I ve sold to you before!!!;)

Buying LNIB from a well established member is the route I took. Regarding F&F, you have to know that at some point PayPal is going to catch on and put up some type of roadblock.

I have had remarkable luck buying used on this forum,,, Great folks. I'm for the most part putting iit in my pocket to cut stuff with... The safe queens I look at good photos and decide... lucky so far.. never a bad CRK have I been stuck with. Even the few 31's have been golden!

I bought new and waited for the chance to buy it a store. The price is not that different. Plus all the people who write on here about doing things not recommended such as polishing washers and using oil not grease makes me leary of used CRK fodlers.

I bought new and waited for the chance to buy it a store. The price is not that different. Plus all the people who write on here about doing things not recommended such as polishing washers and using oil not grease makes me leary of used CRK fodlers.
Didn’t realize sebenzas are so fragile that using oil rather than grease causes permanent damage

All of mine were bought new.. something about being the first to open the box.
If you are looking to buy used and spend $$ try to find an original large pivot model.

THe current shortage of "new" inventory at CRK dealers can lead to frustration for sure. Personally most of my recent CRK purchases are on the secondary market. This new Paypal F&F thing is frustrating, I am sure PP will change this also.

Back