1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Wouldn't a little fletching make throwing knives easier?

Discussion in 'Throwing Knives & Knife Throwing' started by scotchleaf, Dec 19, 2018.

1. scotchleaf

scotchleaf

Oct 23, 2006
    I've googled this, but don't see anyone trying it. Why not?

2. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Because throwing knives are thrown and travel end-over-end along their flight path, not straight-on like an arrow, so they can't be fin stabilized, I would imagine.

3. Ote

Ote

Mar 4, 2012
    No spin style it would work but probably be in the way, many flat or no spin daggers have a tail tied to them, works like the tail on a kite. Does not work well for any type of spin throwing.

4. KnifeThrowing

KnifeThrowing

Jun 5, 2012
    As has been mentioned, if you have your knives throwing in the air, stabilisers would mess up the flight. In no spin throwing, stabilising would of course help - though beware, in European competition rules, there's a clause outlawing stabilisers :)
    A no-spin (sort of) throwing knife with built-in stabilisers is the Gyro Dart.

5. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I think I may be part of the reason lawn darts are banned. I threw them every which way I could. Really amazing I never killed anybody when I was a kid.

Anyway over hand they didn’t stabilize so good. But under hand they were deadly acurate.