Wow! What an unbelievable day!

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
A big thank you to the Ga Custom Knifemakers guild and the five makers who participated with me today. What a time. I underestimated the time challenge. The whole thing is on video.

So, now on a laptop. The six makers that wound up completing the challenge today were:

Me - Voting Member Knifemakers Guild - I made two knives, just in case one warperd in heat treat, which didn't happen. A Shank with black on black with white and a tapered tang and a Protagonist with OD on natural with a white pinstripe and tapered tang. The 5th pin on both knives is a mosaic. The steel I used was 1084, for ease of heat treating.

Allen Surls - Probationary Member of the Knifemakers Guild - Allen made a cool hidden tang drop point loveless knife with a textured copper guard and an Osage Orange handle. Again, this knife was really good. Allen finished quickly too. He and Scott Davidson definitely finished with time to spare.

Will Dutton - Voting Member Knifemakers Guild - Will made a brut de forge knife with a forged in guard. The tang was forged tapered. The scales were ram horn. It was a beauty.

Scott Davidson - Voting Member Knifemakers Guild - Scott made a mini-Kephart style knife with Maduro burl. He also had a sheath for his knife. Also a beautiful, very clean knife. Scotts was hollow ground.

Paul Brach - Journeyman Smith with the ABS - You remember Paul from Forged In Fire. He made a huge fighter with a stag handle, and a metal guard. This knife came out rediculously good. And was razor sharp.

Stephan Fowler - Journeyman Smith with the ABS - Stephan, who is another one you may remember from Forged In Fire, made a fighter. The blade was six inches long and had a Walnut handle. He hand rubbed the blade. It was a fantastic knife.

We wound up having over 100 people attend the event. The above linked video was shot by the Fiddleback Outpost crew. Lots of folks took pics and video though. I hope you enjoy seeing it. Wore me out.

A great day for the knife making community. I bet each one of the makers brought new fans on board from this event. Thanks for the demonstration/education!

Wish I could have been there! Thanks for sharing all this and the knowledge that goes behind it!

Thanks to everyone involved in making the knives and videoing the process. It was very informative and fun to watch. It was cool to watch the makers and here their comments throughout the process. :thumbsup:

Phil

Back