wrench bowie. (also pretty rough)

not sure about the what grind, but i will post pictures.
So, let me get this straight.

Your paying someone for a service, and that service would be essential to make this thing a "knife" and you didn't ask any questions?

Did you research anything prior to trying to make "knives"?

This actually gets me thinking...

It would actually be pretty cool to see what our resident Knifemakers could come up with using one implement and some steel.

Take the angle grinder for instance.
All you could use was a bar of 1084, or an old leaf spring (if you wanted to stick with the "don't have the right equipment" theme), and only use that for shaping.

You could use any size/type of wheel you wanted, flap, cutting, et al. But all removal of material and shaping had to be done with the angle grinder. This could also be done with a bench grinder, dremel, and other smaller, non-opportune equipment.
This would only be for kicks, and to see what is capable of being produced.

The reason I proposed this, is that this can't be the best knife made with only an angle grinder (and if it is, that is only because no one else has done it).

It would actually be pretty cool to see what our resident Knifemakers could come up with using one implement and some steel.

Take the angle grinder for instance.
All you could use was a bar of 1084, or an old leaf spring (if you wanted to stick with the "don't have the right equipment" theme), and only use that for shaping.

You could use any size/type of wheel you wanted, flap, cutting, et al. But all removal of material and shaping had to be done with the angle grinder. This could also be done with a bench grinder, dremel, and other smaller, non-opportune equipment.
This would only be for kicks, and to see what is capable of being produced.

The reason I proposed this, is that this can't be the best knife made with only an angle grinder (and if it is, that is only because no one else has done it).
That sounds like a blast! I am pretty handy with an angle grinder, but have no heat treat equipment so I'd have to go for a file or rasp for the steel and take it slow to keep the hardness. I'm tempted to actually take a crack at it, lol.

~Chip

That sounds like a blast! I am pretty handy with an angle grinder, but have no heat treat equipment so I'd have to go for a file or rasp for the steel and take it slow to keep the hardness. I'm tempted to actually take a crack at it, lol.

~Chip
I have been thinking about it too. To cut HT down the requirement list, 1084 can be used.

Just a torch or two, some canola oil and a toaster oven and you can get something functional.

Flapper disc could shape a knife.

snip.

Lemme go put my crocs on. Forgive me for the portaband use. That was a time saver and not anything that would hinder the spirit of the challenge. My broke ass 6 year old HF saw with broken top guide bearings I use for cutting scrap metal, not my Milwaukee in a SWAG or anything.

One side done tonight. More tomorrow. GoPro died before I ground the bevels. I used .25 CruForge V because I'm lazy and didn't want to walk to the other building and find something else.

4OfuQin.jpg

cKsIXhR.jpg

PL1ZWxo.jpg

AFeKim0.jpg

Last edited:
Lemme go put my crocs on. Forgive me for the portaband use. That was a time saver and not anything that would hinder the spirit of the challenge. My broke ass 6 year old HF saw with broken top guide bearings I use for cutting scrap metal, not my Milwaukee in a SWAG or anything.

One side done tonight. More tomorrow. GoPro died before I ground the bevels. I used .25 CruForge V because I'm lazy and didn't want to walk to the other building and find something else.

4OfuQin.jpg

cKsIXhR.jpg

PL1ZWxo.jpg

AFeKim0.jpg

I'm in. I'll use a flap disk and cutoff wheel on my 7" grinder only.

Pics in the next couple days when I get a chance. I have some CFV too.... or W2, or .....

Come on John, you can't make a kitchen knife like this for the kith???? (Kidding)

Last edited:
i had my friend over today and we "upgraded" the knife to include a d guard and he wrapped the handle in paracord to go over the shitty finger grooves, oh and i spray painted it.
the d guard is a modified c clamp we attached with gorilla epoxy (its still in the vise because the epoxy is drying).
P8140828.JPG

Progress. Heat treat and etch tomorrow. Is doing it in a forge OK or do I need to cobble something together to make it more half ass? I could try a weed burner and some fire bricks but I'm not sure that will get hot enough. I hope one of you wants this when I'm done :D

hY23ZWc.jpg

taDQmg5.jpg

yLyZtn4.jpg

Dibs! But seriously, that looks great:) Probably a cord wrap handle, something pulled out from behind the workbench?

~Chip

Seriously with all the "halfass" projects this thread is starting to turn out pretty cool.
I might have to try my hand at it next
Don't have the flaps for my angle grinder though.

I'm going to the cabin next week for 5 days. I'm going to make mine while up there. I won't be able to cheat then.

Back