Wrist-Flick Openings

I've had an Endura for years. Once I broke it in, I could flick the blade open with wrist or arm motions in a couple of different ways.

Recently, I chose to downgrade in size to a Delica. It is my primary carry knife now.

I can't flick it open though! It has less blade weight so I think this is a contributing factor but I think I also need to break it in more.

Any advice for speeding up the breaking-in proccess?
Any advice for facilitating easier wrist-flick opening?
What grip, lube, or other things should I do to improve my openings?

BTW, I love this new Delica! This is my first SpyderCo with the new SS clip and double sided grip. It's great and it came super sharp! I need to improve my handling of it: I've dropped it twice. Once it stuck into my friend's floor standing on its tip. The second time I dropped it I recieved a nice little puncture wound in my foot. Oh well, all of my knives have bitten me atleast once!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ThinkOfTheChildren (edited 07-31-2000).]

Think (Good name under the circumstances):

Based on your accident record, I'd recommend you use a slow-motion thumb-in-thumb-hole openinig method. Or maybe you should use both hands.
smile.gif

Seriously, your blade mass hypothesis is correct. You must not plan on getting the same kind of opening action you got with the Endura.

Oh, sure, I think you can learn to whip it open, but you'll have to whip it pretty hard, and as you've already discovered, you run the risk of throwing the knife. (I assume you were attempting rapid deployments when you dropped the knife, am I right?) Also, the force generated can't be good for the mechanism.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 08-01-2000).]

Originally posted by David Rock:
I assume you were attempting rapid deployments when you dropped the knife, am I right?

Um..... no......

dagnabbit, you caught me!!!

It was pretty cool when it stuck into the floor. Less cool when I stuck it into my foot. Maybe I should wear protective gear when I whip my knives around. I love balisongs but they're illegal to carry. I would love a SpyderCo with a pivot as smooth as a balisong!

Someday we'll convince Sal to move the opperation to OR and start cranking out Spyder bali's. I'd be even happier then. E

Great idea! Come on over to Portland, Sal. Maybe you could go spy on Benchmade, too!
smile.gif

My Remote Release is rather loose compared to my possibly flawed Delica(which will probably take a trip back to the factory soon), and it snaps open with a light flick of the wrist! Absolutely wonderful. I'm sure the Rescue type blade with all the extra metal helps a bit. As for the Delica, it's so darned tight I can barely get it open or closed! I managed to flick it open a few times, but I thought it was going to go through a wall if it came loose from my hand! Lately, all I can get is maybe a half inch open, and my arm feels like it's going to go flying away with the knife! I won't even try with the Q I'll be getting soon. BTW, I saw a Q at REI... With a big "REI" in the middle of it! Cute, but I think I'll go for the flag I saw.

------------------
John Rollins Jr KD7BCY
http://jrollins.tripod.com/
http://www.geocities.com/jrollins.geo/

Back