Review Wuertz Surface Grinding Attachment

Hey All

I wanted to give a big shout-out to Travis and Lisa over at Wuertz Machine Works.

I have a KMG TX Grinder but I wanted a way to flatten and take-down full knife surfaces in a precision manner. After some consideration, I went with their Surface Grinding Attachment for KMG machines.

I used it today and I have to say I am absolutely blown away by the precision of this attachment. He says that an experienced user can get down to 0.001" accuracy. I have very limited machining background and I was able to get down to 0.001" with less than 30 minutes practise.

Some quick tips:

1. Go slow. Take very light cuts to minimize the heat and get a flawless finish;

2. I got best results from a Norton U936 X45 (320 Grit) Ceramic structured abrasives;

3. Metal dust inevitably clings to the magnetic belt while grinding. Annoying but unavoidable and very easy to clean;

4. For perfect flat finishes, always use a new or at least good condition belt;

5. Buy the dial option. It's cheap and allows you to make perfect adjustments. An absolute must!

This is an amazing product and I wanted to recommend it to anyone here!

I have one and it does work well. Here’s a few things I learned.

You can put 2” wide painters tape over the magnetic table and that will prevent it from loading up with metal dust. Just pull it off when done on each side.

Removing a blade can be a pain at times. I pulled the guts out of a piece of paracord, so I can get it to lay flat. Then you can push it into one of the channels, underneath the blade, wrap it around your fist, push your thumb against the magnetic table, and pull. The blade usually just comes right off.

Belt bump can cause a wavy finish. I’ve found that trizact belts work real well, because the abrasive is built up higher, or as high as the seam. You can also use a diamond abrasive sponge or any diamond abrasive to sand down the abrasive side of the seam on the belt.

I’m considering one. It looks better than the Oregon one, but the price is much steeper.

What size is the tooling arm on the TW90?
I've been looking at this SG well, but I have an OBM grinder and they have 1.5" square arms.

Thanks Tom. See any problem with using 1/2" shims or should I go with the OBM grinder?

I have one and I love it. I actually finish blade flats to 400 grit with it using a Gator belt. Cuts finishing time considerably.

annnnnd this was the nail in the coffin, ordered today.

Whewwwwwww I thought I was thru with making knives but I seriously want to buy a grinder and surface attachment from Travis. My wife is gonna faint.

Back