Wusthof knife not marked country of origin. Other disparities, too.

I recently purchased a Wusthof 8758 2-Pc. Utility Set from Thee Cutlery. It consists of a 4022 3 inch paring knife and 5558 scissors in a box with a thin plastic tray/insert. After taking it home and looking at it, I see that neither the scissors, the knife nor the box is marked as to where it is made.

I thought this was illegal.

The following differences from the Wusthof site image were noted:

1. All the knives on the site are marked "Solingen Germany" right underneath "WUSTHOF". There is nothing marked in this area.

2. The C and the M in the length CM marking seem a little farther apart than normal European practice, and do not match the Wusthof site's picture.

3. The geometric design to the right is missing.

4. The red Wusthof label on the handle is just a thin sticker, with sharp corners, not raised with rounded edges like in the picture on their site.

5. The logo on the sticker is also off-center.

The picture on the Wusthof site shows the markings present on the knife, and the differences in the red logo. I could not find the scissors in their Gourmet line catalog.

There was also no literature or information of any kind on the box or enclosed inside. No warranty, no service info, no thank you for buying, no nothing.

My Android phone app for bar code scanning shows it to be a Wusthof Gourmet 2 piece Utility set 8758. The only other marking on the box is the Wusthof URL.

The set does appear on some other sites, such as Linens and things, and the pictures show the knife marked just like other Wusthofs.

The knife does not pass the newspaper test, and cannot be sharpened with either a Lansky or DMT to do so. In all fairness, this is my first of the Gourmet line.

Has Wusthof changed the blade marking of their German knives, leaving off the words Solingen Germany? Hard to imagine.

Has Wusthof gone to a sticker for the red logo on the handle?

Has Wusthof outsourced the production of these to a secret country?

Is this counterfeit merchandise?

Wusthoff4022.jpg

Last edited:
Today's checking turned up another Wusthof 4022. This one says "Solingen Germany", but does not have the geometric figure to the right of the blade lettering. It also has 1/11 under the trident on the blade marking. The red emblem on the handle is a sticker, but has rounded corners, and the logo is perfectly centered on the sticker. The letters cm in the blade marking are spaced closely together, the same as the one on the Wusthof site.

So, it appears there are three different factories or production lines making the 4022, two are marked "Solingen Germany" on the blade and one declines to state the country of origin.

Last edited:
All genuine wusthof knives are made in germany. Unlike henckels that has lines made in japan, spain, germany and i believe one more country. Yours resemble their lowest tier, besides the silverpoint series. The silverpoint series is actually not a bad blade, softish but takes an edge well... i have a chefscand acsantoku in the silverpoint athat i gave to my old man because he tossses them in the dw, a big nono in my book.....

I have received a reply from Wusthof USA to my query.

They said that they do "source" their products. And, that all "sourced" products met specs, etc, etc.

They also said, "That is why we are very straightforward in not putting country/city of origin on our sourced products."

That, of course, does not explain the knife I bought with no country marked on it. They seem to have a "straightforwardness" problem.

It is possible that the cutlery store is selling counterfeit Wusthof merchandise, but I would have to think that Wusthof would look into that, rather than blowing me off with the usual corporate drivel about their high quality outsourced products. I would also think that a counterfeiter would go all the way and mark the blade "Germany", so I don't really think it is counterfeit.

Their site says the Gourmet line is made in Germany.

The store finally exchanged it for the same model number marked Solingen Germany, and the replacement is a decent knife for the price. It holds an edge way longer than the Forschner/Victorinox it replaced. This is my first experience with the lower end Gourmet line, and I am favorably impressed. Might even buy another.

It would be interesting to compare the two different 4022s marked Solingen Germany.

Back