WW2 "Escape Knife": Featured on popular British antiques show.

If ever a multi-tool deserved the right to feature on this forum it would be this one. When I first saw this I figured it was probably produced for a particular trade by a particular corporation (I.E. telecommunications or electrical). But noticing it had two hack saw blades I began to think that maybe it had been cobbled together by some ingenious prisoner of war for the purposes of escape, and I wasn't far wrong. It turns out that the pattern, originally designed for military use during the Boer War, was developed for the S.O.E. (Special Operations Executive) during WW2. It was issued to an elite group for the purpose of sabotage and escape within Nazi occupied Europe. The Knife, found in a garden shed, was valued between £500-£1000.

Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

This knife is obviously of great interest in itself and was designed for a serious purpose during difficult and dangerous times. But I was just wondering what traditional folding knife you would choose for use under similar circumstances. Bear in mind that it would not only be used for everyday chores and survival but also sabotage and possibly, if captured and incarcerated, to effect your means of escape. :confused: Thanks.

-Mark

Last edited:
Very cool Mark. If in that type of situation I would want to have a Wave and a good sheath knife.

oss_escape-1.jpg

SOE and OSS Escape Knife. During World War II, the "escape knife" was used by Special Operations, Executive (SOE) and Office of Strategic Services (OSS) for the purposes of escape and evasion. A drop point blade, three hacksaw blades, and a tin opener are housed in one handle of the wire cutter. A screwdriver is built into one end of the handle (opposite the wire cutter). The "escape knife" was modeled after Victorian knives manufactured by Joseph Rodgers & Sons. A beautifully preserved example of the "escape knife" is shown in Pocket Knives of the United States Military (page 78). Sketches of several variations of the knife (No 1 through No 5) are shown in U.S. Military Knives, Bayonets and Machetes Book III by MH Cole (p 158-159):

(No 1) Prototype: Manufactured from parts. All other examples have a screwdriver on the end of the handle.
(No 2) Factory pattern
(No 3) Experimental knife: Plastic handle.
(No 4) Trial knife: All blue except the cutting blade.
(No 5) Issue knife: All blue, unmarked.

joseph_rogers-1.jpg

Joseph Rodgers & Sons Military Wire Cutter Knife. The design was patented in 1900 (RD 354051) and manufactured before and after World War I. A folding spear point blade and tin opener are housed in one handle of the wire cutter. A latch prevents the wire cutter from opening when not in use. There were several variations of this pattern. The example shown in the photo has a bail attached to the latch. In the drawing from the 1912 catalog, the bail is attached directly to the pivot pin. During World War II, three hacksaw blades and a screwdriver were added for use as an "escape knife".

Fantastic additional info on the history of this knife, Thanks guys. :thumbup: and yes redden the Wave would certainly be a great modern day equivalent, but not really a traditional in the same sense. Don't forget concealment would be a consideration here: I always wondered how James Garner managed to get around with that multi-bladed folder of his in 'The Great Escape'. :confused: Keep your ideas coming please. :)

I think it's the LM Surge that has the removable hacksaw blade? I think I would go for that, for cutting locks and such ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some amazing knives! If I ever come across one it will surly be added to my collection:)

If ever a multi-tool deserved the right to feature on this forum it would be this one. When I first saw this I figured it was probably produced for a particular trade by a particular corporation (I.E. telecommunications or electrical). But noticing it had two hack saw blades I began to think that maybe it had been cobbled together by some ingenious prisoner of war for the purposes of escape, and I wasn't far wrong. It turns out that the pattern, originally designed for military use during the Boar War, was developed for the S.O.E. (Special Operations Executive) during WW2. It was issued to an elite group for the purpose of sabotage and escape within Nazi occupied Europe. The Knife, found in a garden shed, was valued between £500-£1000.

This knife is obviously of great interest in itself and was designed for a serious purpose during difficult and dangerous times. But I was just wondering what traditional folding knife you would choose for use under similar circumstances. Bear in mind that it would not only be used for everyday chores and survival but also sabotage and possibly, if captured and incarcerated, to effect your means of escape. :confused: Thanks.

-Mark
That's pretty cool and looks to be in pretty darn good shape, especially after just laying around in a shed. Lots of interesting things came out of WWII, especially for D-Day.

FYI: Boar War ---->> Boer War.

Best

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I think it's the LM Surge that has the removable hacksaw blade? I think I would go for that, for cutting locks and such ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see exactly where you're coming from Irona. Looks like the LM truly is the modern escape knife par excellance, though I've got to admit I'd have preferred to have thought that some would have more faith in their traditionals in such circumstances. What about a SAK for example, surely there's a blade for every eventuality with a SAK? What about a good strong single blade, lock knife like a Buck? or similar, surely that would take care of most things asked of it? Or even a Peanut, I thought they could do everything the bigger knives could? Given the choice of just one folder wouldn't it just be your most trusty traditional, even if it didn't have a pair of pliers and a saw? Guys!?! :dispirited:

Last edited:
That's pretty cool and looks to be in pretty darn good shape, especially after just laying around in a shed. Lots of interesting things came out of WWII, especially for D-Day.

FYI: Boar War ---->> Boer War.

Best

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

You're not wrong Jedi and thanks for the correction I genuinely appreciate it. :p :thumbup:

Fascinating knife Mark, thanks for posting it.

I just thought I'd add this photo to the thread, of an Al Mar knife I took at the G.Sakai Knife Museum in Seki, Japan. It was in a display of knives which were presumably made for one of the Paris-Dakar rallies, possibly the 12th in 1990. Look familiar?

It's really interesting to me how traditional patterns can turn up over the years in slightly repurposed and modified forms, but with all their lineaments essentially the same.

Oh, and to address the question in your OP, I'd have to use a good old SAK as an traditional patterned escape/sabotage knife.

Last edited:
Fascinating knife Mark, thanks for posting it.

I just thought I'd add this photo to the thread, of an Al Mar knife I took at the G.Sakai Knife Museum in Sakai, Japan. It was in a display of knives which were presumably made for one of the Paris-Dakar rallies, possibly the 12th in 1990. Look familiar?

It's really interesting to me how traditional patterns can turn up over the years in slightly repurposed and modified forms, but with all their lineaments essentially the same.

Oh, and to address the question in your OP, I'd have to use a good old SAK as an traditional patterned escape/sabotage knife.

Don't want to take this topic off track but here are a few other examples of this pattern from Al Mar. I removed one example since it has a thumbstud and pocket clip (that's not allowed in traditionals forum). These knives from Al Mar date back to the 1980s. There were designed based on the "escape knife" from the original post. There's an article about the Al Mar knives in Knife World Vol. 27 No. 5 May 2001

almar-1-full.jpg

AM48.jpg

Last edited:

This knife is obviously ... designed for a serious purpose during difficult and dangerous times. But I was just wondering what traditional folding knife you would choose for use under similar circumstances. Bear in mind that it would not only be used for everyday chores and survival but also sabotage and possibly, if captured and incarcerated, to effect your means of escape.

I guess it'd be disingenuous to choose this knife, since I had no idea they existed til you posted it. :) So instead, I'd just opt for any period-correct scout pattern knife, preferably one by Victorinox. A "demo knife" would do in a pinch.

-- Mark

Very interesting to see those Al Mar knives, I don't recall ever having seen them before :thumbup:

Back