WWII camillus folding machete

I have a folding,locking,camillus machete that is made just like the case folding machete's I have seen at knife shows.The guy I got it from said it is WWII era.Can anyone tell me about how old it is,how many were made,ect.,The condition is nice.The edge looks factory with one small dent.It has the usual old age cosmetic discoloration.It even still has the removable edge guard! THANKS!!!!!

Also,PLEASE give me some idea what this would be worth! THANKS again!

WASP,
You have the CAMILLUS military issue folding machete. This item was made during WW2 for pilot's survival kits in the pacific theater. A total of 121,848 were produced by CAMILLUS. Mention of this knife is made by Dexter Ewing in an article he prepared about the history of CAMILLUS.....

http://www.camillusknives.com/history.html

An updated version of this article [with better pics!] is in this months issue of KNIVES ILLUSTRATED.

You should try Benard Levine's Collectors forum [here on BF] for a better idea of the value. I do know a collector that purchased one recently. It was not in as good of condition as you described, and he was happy to pay $100 for it.

If nothing else, you have an example of possibly the FIRST Tactical Liner Locking Folder!

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery
www.camillusknives.com

The folding machete I have is ingraved " Joseph Westby Sheffield" the inventor and was made by Camillus under licence in WWII it has a blade similar to the "Case XX" and has the british broad arrow stamp on the black composite handle, I got this at an estate sale and paid $25.00 Canadian.

I'm thinking of trading one of my Kinfolks knives for this
He says there is "no other markings" besides the CAMILLUS stamp
Does this look legit??
camillus_machete.jpg

Trent,

Looks just like the one I have!
Does it still have the edge guard?

Does it still have the edge guard?
I'll ask the guy
Didn't know there was an edge guard until I saw your post and this pic on EBAY===>
113955393_o.jpg

Thanks for the heads up
These are the little things I needed to know.....:thumbup:

It can still be used without the edge guard right?
It just makes transporting it a little more unsafe with the exposed blade???

Yes, edge guard was in place of a sheath.
I believe they were primarily packed in survival kits.

Back