WWII Camillus folding machete

Hiya, folks. I have one of these, pictured here:
wwIIfoldingmachette.jpg

However, mine is made by Camillus.
It's in poor condition, with blade chips, rust, etc. I do still have the steel guard, and the handles are intact.
I wondered about the value of this. I want to keep it, but I would like to clean it up a bit to make it more presentable. But at the same time, I don't want to go "devaluing" something of any historical importance.
If, by chance, there were like 200 of these ever made by Camillus, (heh-heh), I would sure feel like an idiot if I had taken the old brass brush & oil to her!
BTW, the handles are plastic; I imagine "celluloid" (?). Oil's gonna soften them, huh?

Thanks, all.

I've seen these on ebay called B-29 aircrew survival knives. I saw a similar Case in an antique shop for $100

Yeah, apparently they were made for the US Airforce as survival knives. In my very brief research on the web, I've found that there were a few manufacturers that made them, but they are all identical.

If my memory is correct Camillus made 116,000 folding machetes during WWII. The metal guards are usually missing. These machetes were packed in bail-out kits for aircraft used in the Pacific Theater.

Tom Williams

Back